Submitted Content - Dry or Wet ?

Samples of sound/music, ideas or suggestions related to the development of audio assets for FreeOrion.
DJJoker
Space Krill

Submitted Content - Dry or Wet ?

#1 Post by DJJoker »

To save a LOT of problems later in development you should ensure that all audio content submissions should be dry (or without reverb / delay where possible). The reason for this is that if you end up with 300 / 400 samples made by different people using different reverbs and settings then you will never be able to get all the sounds to sound like one unified design.

Reverb can be added to all the samples at the very end in a number of ways and more importantly in a consistent manner - including any vocal snippets that you may want to use.

Obviously any music tracks submitted will probably have been produced to a state where they have their own unique sound, but this should not cause any long term problems and some simple DJ principles can easily blend the tracks when needed :)

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Submitted Content - Dry or Wet ?

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Sounds reasonable, no pun intended. Thanks for the suggestion.

metaphysician
Space Floater

Re: Submitted Content - Dry or Wet ?

#3 Post by metaphysician »

i agree with this - especially for long audio samples. for shorter ones as long as the reverb is relatively short and not excessively wet (more reverb than the original) it can add a certain useful texture. as a design spec i realize that having conditional requirements may complicate matters (ie it's easier to just tell everyone submitting that they should do it dry), but if you're using any of my sounds i submitted to PD for the 0.4 combat interface, then you are in fact hearing some reverb i added here and there to punch up the sound. the deal here is not to let the tail of the reverb sound be too obvious, as things get muddy pretty quick.