LaplaceOperator Music

Samples of sound/music, ideas or suggestions related to the development of audio assets for FreeOrion.
LaplaceOperator
Space Squid

LaplaceOperator Music

#1 Post by LaplaceOperator »

Recently I've been playing around with logic and I tried to make some space music. It's still at an early stage. And it definitely needs a lot of equalizer and mixing work. As you will notice the end is unfinished. But anyway here it is:
http://n.ethz.ch/student/schwadri/download/sp.mp3
Please let me know what you think about it. Would something like this be of use for the FreeOrion project?

The Silent One
Graphics

Re: LaplaceOperator Music

#2 Post by The Silent One »

Cool... definitely like it! Could be a little more melodic maybe, but otherwise nice ambient atmosphere.
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

connan
Space Krill

#3 Post by connan »

Yes, really nice :)
Can you make this as a random generator?

LaplaceOperator
Space Squid

#4 Post by LaplaceOperator »

Well yeah it definitely needs more melodic elements.
Connan: What do you mean with "as a random generator"?

connan
Space Krill

#5 Post by connan »

Oh, i missunderstood the terms "LaplaceOperator Music" and "i've been playing around with logic" so i thought you'd generated the sound by your own, just with a 'magic' L-transformation. *somewhat funny i guess :wink:*
Anyway, its a really good ambient sound for a space game but IMHO with enough melodic elements and a bit to much rythm elements (shortly repeated samples) >2:47. There should be only very few points to recognice the arrangement. Remember, you will hear the composition very often so the moo3 (no flames please) ambient sound ist a good example for that what i would wish.

Don't feel bothered please, i will never got the skills to create such a piece of music, particulary not with logic ;) These are just suggestions.

btw.: wouldn't it be cool to have a ( maybe laplace-logic :wink: ) generator which creates such a music carpet?

LaplaceOperator
Space Squid

#6 Post by LaplaceOperator »

Thx for the comments. Not many though... I really like the idea of a random space sound carpet that gets mixed while the game is running.
I've been playing around with different lead synths to add more melodic parts. But it's really hard to find something that fits the setting. Maybe I should keep it more minimal and include more space fx.

connan
Space Krill

#7 Post by connan »

LaplaceOperator wrote:Maybe I should keep it more minimal and include more space fx.
You got it ;)
Sorry, i couldn't say better (like you said).

btw.: I think its really underestimated what background music can do for a game...

Kind regards,
Connan.

LaplaceOperator
Space Squid

#8 Post by LaplaceOperator »

Well, well. I tried to make some classical space fanfare but someting completely different came out today. Any idea if you could use that?
Maybe it's a little too classic.

http://n.ethz.ch/student/schwadri/downl ... f_Urgl.ogg

Cheers

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#9 Post by Geoff the Medio »

There's a rather jarring transition at 48 seconds where the main line instrument seems to drop out suddenly.

I was going to say you should add some timpani rolls and beats, but then at the end there is a bit... so instead, I suggest adding it earlier - to the end of the initial build up.

I don't like hearing the same note repeated so prominently in the main line from 30 seconds until 39 seconds.

Otherwise, and in general, quite effective.