Mongoose Music

Samples of sound/music, ideas or suggestions related to the development of audio assets for FreeOrion.
LithiumMongoose
Audio Lead Emeritus

#31 Post by LithiumMongoose »

Artificial Intelligence updated to v2. No changes, just lengthened it. The recording seems to have come out quieter this time, which was unintentional, but is probably a good thing for a galaxy map track. On a side note, I was going to make this my first .ogg submission, but the only ogg encoder I could find for OS X doesn't seem to work atm, bleh.

ps -- Miu, Drek, pd, Obi, Satya, you guys have spoken up in other music threads but never mine, so you owe me some comments. ;)

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#32 Post by pd »

sure, i just discovered this thread :)

i think 'Encounter v2', 'Artificial Intelligence v2', 'Mejoff's Battle v1' and 'Sword of Stars v1' are really great. i love them.

on the other hand i don't like 'Legend v1', 'There Can Be Only One v1', 'Story Battle v2 and 'Sunrise ~ Space Station v1 ' :/
too many 'high sounds', gets somewhat annoying

but this is only my personal taste!
you've done great work! :)

Satyagraha
Space Kraken

#33 Post by Satyagraha »

pd wrote:on the other hand i don't like 'Legend v1', 'There Can Be Only One v1', 'Story Battle v2 and 'Sunrise ~ Space Station v1 ' :/
hey, Sunrise is one of my favorites so far ;) perfect for a cinematic intro.
@ Mongoose: i´ll give you more feedback later when i´ve listened to every song for a while.

LithiumMongoose
Audio Lead Emeritus

#34 Post by LithiumMongoose »

-- In The Pale Starlight v1

Am curious to see if you like it as much as I do hehe, sorta feels like I'm coming out of my slump with this one. Went back to basics with the classic 1-4-5 arpeggio, but geez that HornExpans instrument makes it feel different, similar to FF7's "can you hear the cry of the planet" track which I didn't expect. Anyway, feels like a great one-last-chance scenario to me, so definitely an epic battle theme of some sort. Sorry it's so short, wanted to get it out there fast this time. High priority for additional work.

ps -- my new forum avatar is the Mageweave icon from War3, and is subject to change/removal depending on how I feel about it a few days from now. :)

Satyagraha
Space Kraken

#35 Post by Satyagraha »

Artificial Intelligence v2 - very nice, great sounds, very moody.

Encounter v2 - the "ahh"-voices are very nice, so are the rolling drums. would work well as soundtrack for the tactical combat screen.

In the pale Starlight v1 - hm, it´s ok, but i didn´t feel much while listening.

Legend v1 - awesome feel-good track for victory and/or credits.

Space Station/Sun Rise v1 - i love the first 2min, really made me feel the theme. would work well for a slow intro-scene. the 2nd part has too much synth for my taste.

Story Battle v2 - i like the overall mood, but not the melody of the picked strings at 0:50. the parts when they keep in the background (1:30) are much better imo.

Sword of stars v1- something feels wierd about the rythm here, but i´m not sure what it is... the "ahh"-voice is very nice, tho.

There can only be one v1 - too hectic for my taste. could maybe work well with an endgame-cinematic that has lots of overly dramatic action. the only track i didn´t like that much.

keep up the good work :)

StratCaster
Space Kraken

#36 Post by StratCaster »

I like "Artificial Intelligence v2" a lot... it has a lot of great textures and it makes you feel like you are somewhere (other than your desk in front of a computer).

"Encounter v2" is cool to. Very Combat-In-Moo1-esk except slower moving. The only thing I don't like is the choir ohs and ahs at the end. I just think the patch is a little cheesy, but harmonically its fine.

"In The Pale Starlight" is a really nice piece, but I'm not sure where I see it in the game.. maybe for an intro or something.

"Legend" very cool, though I don't know if it fits for the genre. Sounds more like castles, knights on horses and maybe dragons.

"Story Battle" I like this one a lot.

That's all I've listen to so far.
"The mighty warships of the Vl'Hurg Empire dived screaming upon the unknowing Earth, where due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog." -Hitchhikers Guide

LithiumMongoose
Audio Lead Emeritus

#37 Post by LithiumMongoose »

Artificial Intelligence updated to v3 and posted in ogg format. No changes, 3+ minutes added at the end, overall file size shrinks slightly.

Edit -- Nevermind. For keysigs this track currently uses 0, 2, 4 sharps, and 4 flats. On double checking, I realize that already rules out any common pitches. Argh. You're going to ruin my style, taking out all the fun modulations like this... Oh well, I may yet concede, we'll see.

vishnou00
Space Kraken

#38 Post by vishnou00 »

LithiumMongoose wrote:Argh. You're going to ruin my style, taking out all the fun modulations like this...
It's true that AI would lose some of its unsettling mood by modulating nearer to the central tonality.

noelte
Juggernaut

#39 Post by noelte »

I like you AI v3 music very much. I just heared it for the first time.

LithiumMongoose
Audio Lead Emeritus

#40 Post by LithiumMongoose »

Was going to give these to you as a FO v0.2 present but that's moving along sluggishly so what the heck.

Encounter v3 -- Both string lines changed synths, new material on the end featuring a <gasp> tempo change!! I haven't done one of those in ages hehe. Overall I think this version is an improvement, but, I dunno, just feels kinda bleh atm. I think I've lost all objectivity tonight...

Tension v1 -- New track, pre-combat theme, ie MOO3 combat scheduler, manual ship placement, whatever. This is one of my new insta-favorites so anything other than glowing praise for it will be met immediately with a fencing match involving a swordfish and a tuna. You have been warned.

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

Tension

#41 Post by guiguibaah »

Tension is really nice - what did you use for bells? Those are some nice bell samples!
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

StratCaster
Space Kraken

#42 Post by StratCaster »

"Tension"...good track...and appropriately named. I like the bells, nice touch.
"The mighty warships of the Vl'Hurg Empire dived screaming upon the unknowing Earth, where due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog." -Hitchhikers Guide

LithiumMongoose
Audio Lead Emeritus

#43 Post by LithiumMongoose »

Bah and here I thought you guys were going to compliment me on my inspired notion to use an overdrive guitar to simulate alert klaxons at the end of Tension... pfft.

Portal Dance v1 -- Second attempt at a title screen track. (The first attempt will remain unreleased for now as I'm feeling very bleh on it.) Curious to get your reactions on this, if nothing else I've found two more synths on the Roland board I really like. :p

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#44 Post by pd »

i did listen to it, while watching my splash *g* and i must say it's really cool, but has some minor issues imho. it simply doesn't feel like one ongoing thing, always those breaks and stuff, know what i mean? i'm looking forward to v2 ;)

StratCaster
Space Kraken

#45 Post by StratCaster »

I like it......sounds good. I like those cymbals...

but I agree with pd, not sure if it sounds like a splash screen kind of sound...

sounds more like an end of a battle or some sort of event that just happened and the user is looking on the screen for details... the music acts as a sort of emotional aftermath... and its sort of ambigious...loss/defeat..happy/sad... could go either way

but nonetheless...great...