Robbob Music

Samples of sound/music, ideas or suggestions related to the development of audio assets for FreeOrion.
_Robbob_
Krill Swarm

Robbob Music

#1 Post by _Robbob_ »

Hi, I'm new here, but the prject looks really good. I wrote some music a while back that I think might be suitable for freeorion.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rob_edwards/rob1.mid
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rob_edwards/rob1.mp3

You're welcome to use it if you like it, and I'd welcome comments! :)

The Silent One
Graphics

#2 Post by The Silent One »

I like it, but it seems still unfinished to me. Are you going to write some more songs?

_Robbob_
Krill Swarm

#3 Post by _Robbob_ »

well, it is a touch unfinished. :)

I'm not working on it any more, but I've given the link to the .mid file, so anyone can use it and maybe make it a bit more interesting. In fact, I'd be quite interested to hear the results!

I might make some more stuff if I get round to it sometime and if I come up with anything suitable.

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by Tyreth »

Sounds very nice.

_Robbob_
Krill Swarm

#6 Post by _Robbob_ »

well, we can't use those for copyright reasons.

Sorry to hear that my music gave you a headache, but hey, feel free to improve it yourself - I gave you the MIDI files ;)

drekmonger
Space Kraken

#8 Post by drekmonger »

We can't use moo2 music; FO doesn't have the rights to anything moo related. Officially, this project has nothing to do with moo.

Using public domain music is a good idea. Personally, I suck at reading sheet music, but fortuantly I found Holst's music in midi format. Maybe I'll play around with it with Fruityloops and see if I can come up with a modern remix.

er...maybe.

LithiumMongoose
Audio Lead Emeritus

#9 Post by LithiumMongoose »

Personally I like using new material just on principle. As long as you get good stuff, it comes off sounding a lot better fresh and non-cliche'd. Of course the downside to this is if you use original material that basically sucks, like MOO3, you're screwed... but that only happens when managers/executives don't know the difference. Anyway, much as I love the MOO2 music I don't think it would be very easy to remix or rewrite it without skirting danger copyright-wise; I know a little about this and if you borrow whole themes from a composition, even if you use them differently, you are technically infringing. No we *probably* wouldn't be called on it, but I doubt the risk is worth taking. What is occasionally done is creative reuse of themes in a respectful tribute sort of way, but only with the endorsement of the original author and I doubt we'd be able to secure that in this case.

Btw I do agree with you Okarena that situational themes can be a great dramatic/immersive technique; there are very few games that have attempted this in the past however, and even fewer that pulled it off successfully, because it is a *lot* trickier than having a long static encompassing background score for each major interface mode (ie galaxy map, combat, ship design etc). Besides, if you take it one step further than MOO ever did and make a different set of interface themes for each race, that is *plenty* of material already right there. I would definitely suggest one approach or the other, but not both.

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

Speaking of Which...

#12 Post by guiguibaah »

I wrote some Remixed songs of Moo2 and uploaded them to Moo3mods.com.

http://www.moo3mods.com/modules.php?nam ... it&lid=195

(It's a zip file - if this link doens't work, click on mods 1.2.5, then sound mods. mine should be there)

Anyhow, the big one, Combat01, is a remixed song of the old moo2 battle music (on of the themes anyway). Now that I have a few better instruments, I may look at going back and redoing that song in the future..

I don't know what the rules, or laws, are on remixes, so I don't think it could be used, but who knows.

Anyhow, it's there if anyone is interested. Let me know if there's any problems.

Later!
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

miu
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#13 Post by miu »

These sound great, I like the instruments very much and the atmosphere is awesome. Shame that we probaply can't use them, but I'm happy to have musician like you in our team. The moo2 mapview-background loop was excellent as well, I never grew used to it, and used to install it sometimes just to hear the song ;)
Difference between a man and a gentleman is that a man does what he wants, a gentleman does what he should. - Albert Camus