Proposal: landscape images for planet environments

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

Re: Proposal: landscape images for planet environments

#16 Post by Krikkitone »

MatGB wrote:
Bigjoe5 wrote: But tundra areas also have very low precipitation... I have to admit, I'm not very clear on what distinguishes tundra from a very cold desert, and in terms of planet types, I think that cold deserts are too much like tundra planets to really fall under the category of desert. If I saw a "cold desert" planet, I would probably think "why isn't this classified as tundra?".
Because it's at the colder end of the desert range and close to the warmer end of the tundra range? If it's a circle with each leading into the rest there have to be some deserts that are near tundra and some that are closer to 'terran', just as there are some terran worlds that're closer to Thalassa than Earth, etc.

It needs to make sense both in a terminological sense and a gameplay sense, it has to gradate in some way, and it makes zero sense, at all, for a really hot desert environment to be closest to a very cold tundra environment, but if there are cold deserts that's close to tundras, as there are on Earth, then that works and makes more sense. To me, at least.

I didn't invent this schema afterall, I'm merely trying to make sense of it, if there are better explanations out there happy to hear it, at some point we need a clear write up of all this in game and I suspect it'll be me writing it ;-)
Well I think a "desert world" (as opposed to a 'desert region' should not just lack precipitation... it should have very little water of any kind, so it can be cold but no ice.
while it would be 'closer to tundra' you could have a desert world with fields of yellow grass that would be 'closer to terran'

You want it to be recognizable as desert to someone who doesn't have a degree in environmental science.

Otherwise like all of them (although I would use the "Desert (ice)" for tundra

Isengrim
Space Floater

#17 Post by Isengrim »

Krikkitone wrote:
MatGB wrote:
Bigjoe5 wrote: But tundra areas also have very low precipitation... I have to admit, I'm not very clear on what distinguishes tundra from a very cold desert, and in terms of planet types, I think that cold deserts are too much like tundra planets to really fall under the category of desert. If I saw a "cold desert" planet, I would probably think "why isn't this classified as tundra?".
Because it's at the colder end of the desert range and close to the warmer end of the tundra range? If it's a circle with each leading into the rest there have to be some deserts that are near tundra and some that are closer to 'terran', just as there are some terran worlds that're closer to Thalassa than Earth, etc.

It needs to make sense both in a terminological sense and a gameplay sense, it has to gradate in some way, and it makes zero sense, at all, for a really hot desert environment to be closest to a very cold tundra environment, but if there are cold deserts that's close to tundras, as there are on Earth, then that works and makes more sense. To me, at least.

I didn't invent this schema afterall, I'm merely trying to make sense of it, if there are better explanations out there happy to hear it, at some point we need a clear write up of all this in game and I suspect it'll be me writing it ;-)
Well I think a "desert world" (as opposed to a 'desert region' should not just lack precipitation... it should have very little water of any kind, so it can be cold but no ice.
while it would be 'closer to tundra' you could have a desert world with fields of yellow grass that would be 'closer to terran'

You want it to be recognizable as desert to someone who doesn't have a degree in environmental science.

Otherwise like all of them (although I would use the "Desert (ice)" for tundra
I'd use Ouaz's choice for tundra, since a Tundra is a higher altitude grassland in cold regions

The Silent One
Graphics

#18 Post by The Silent One »

Ouaz, could you attach a .zip with the images?
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

The Silent One
Graphics

#19 Post by The Silent One »

Nevermind, I've cut them out, gonna to commit your pictures now and put them in the game. Thanks and nice work!
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#20 Post by Ouaz »

Oops, sorry, I didn't connect since a few days.

If you're going to add the images, I reworked the Barren landscapes, because I didn't like the ground colour (and it doesn't correspond to the Barren planet texture very well).

I added directly the border to the images (so it doesn't need to be programmed), like in the previous mockup.

Here's the zip:
environments.zip
(418.17 KiB) Downloaded 399 times
I release every updated file under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.

The Silent One
Graphics

#21 Post by The Silent One »

Thanks, I'll add the new barren image soon.

Sloth
Content Scripter

#22 Post by Sloth »

Vezzra wrote:Hm, I definitely like the idea. Provided we do a decent couple of images per planet type, getting the same image of a desert for each desert planet doesn't help immersion IMO.
In case someone is willing to code up the changes needed to implement different images for each planet type, I produced some alternatives from the unused art here: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... planets_bg
Attachments
pt_gasgiant2.png
pt_gasgiant2.png (40.75 KiB) Viewed 6684 times
pt_desert2.png
pt_desert2.png (43.86 KiB) Viewed 6684 times
pt_barren2.png
pt_barren2.png (45.58 KiB) Viewed 6684 times
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

Sloth
Content Scripter

#23 Post by Sloth »

And three more (note that the other images weren't really suitable for this format). I tested them ingame and they all worked well enough.
Attachments
pt_swamp2.png
pt_swamp2.png (50.85 KiB) Viewed 6684 times
pt_toxic2.png
pt_toxic2.png (43.41 KiB) Viewed 6684 times
pt_inferno2.png
pt_inferno2.png (34.22 KiB) Viewed 6684 times
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#24 Post by Vezzra »

Sloth wrote:In case someone is willing to code up the changes needed to implement different images for each planet type, I produced some alternatives from the unused art here: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... planets_bg
Considering how badly we struggle to get the release out, no one might pick that up before 0.4.6. To avoid that your suggestion gets buried and forgotten here, can you make an appropriate issue on github and put a link in there to your posts here?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#25 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Handling multiple graphics in that context is a bit complicated... In some other contexts, like handling textures for planets or icons for stars on the map, it looks for all images with similar names but varying numbers, like blue01.png, blue02.png, blue03.png, etc. But for the planet pedia view images, it has a particular filename less flexibly encoded, with not check for how many similarly-named files are present...

Sloth
Content Scripter

#26 Post by Sloth »

Vezzra wrote:To avoid that your suggestion gets buried and forgotten here, can you make an appropriate issue on github and put a link in there to your posts here?
I made a pull request instead (that only contains the pictures). That should do as a reminder.
Geoff the Medio wrote:Handling multiple graphics in that context is a bit complicated... In some other contexts, like handling textures for planets or icons for stars on the map, it looks for all images with similar names but varying numbers, like blue01.png, blue02.png, blue03.png, etc. But for the planet pedia view images, it has a particular filename less flexibly encoded, with not check for how many similarly-named files are present...
I'm well aware that this is no trivial task. Otherwise i would have been tempted to try it myself. :D

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#27 Post by Vezzra »

Sloth wrote:I made a pull request instead (that only contains the pictures). That should do as a reminder.
Well, good idea, however, Geoff just merged the PR to add the images to master, so the PR is now closed and not very useful as a reminder anymore.

Meaning, you should probably create another issue, so we have an actually open item that acts as a reminder :)

Geoff the Medio

#28 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Yeah, I think a GitHub issue is better than a danging pull request for requested / suggested features.

dbenage-cx
Programmer

#29 Post by dbenage-cx »

Very nice work.

Should a planet have the same graphic throughout (a sub-type), or randomly pick one each time it is viewed (might be confusing for some)?
For the later, gas giant seems more in-line with terran or ocean when compared to the first version.

Geoff the Medio

#30 Post by Geoff the Medio »

dbenage-cx wrote:Should a planet have the same graphic throughout (a sub-type), or randomly pick one each time it is viewed (might be confusing for some)?
As with various other pick-from-a-set textures or images, use a consistent mapping from object ID to texture id, such as mod(object_id, num_textures)