Ship Hulls

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Unnamed
Space Floater

Re: Ship Hulls

#46 Post by Unnamed »

I made graphics for the Xentronium hull.
xentronium_hull_small.png
xentronium_hull_small.png (30.64 KiB) Viewed 8171 times
xentronium_hull.png
xentronium_hull.png (387.16 KiB) Viewed 8171 times

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#47 Post by MatGB »

I think the thing I like most about the work you're doing is when compared side to side with the old placeholder art it's always identifiably the same hull, but just, well, not ugly and cool.

Uploaded with ebb7748, thanks.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

banduri
Space Floater

#48 Post by banduri »

Nice ships! I like the blue light in Xentronium hull, it really looks high tech alien :). Never the less I've got an request. In the small images the ships are shown from a nice viewpoint. Wouldn't it honor the awesome work more, if the high resolution images look similar?
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project (this includes pullrequest of the useraccount banduri at github)

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#49 Post by Vezzra »

banduri wrote:In the small images the ships are shown from a nice viewpoint. Wouldn't it honor the awesome work more, if the high resolution images look similar?
Probably, but those high-res images are intended for the design screen, and there you need a viewpoint that works well with the placing of the ship part slots.

banduri
Space Floater

#50 Post by banduri »

Vezzra wrote:
banduri wrote:In the small images the ships are shown from a nice viewpoint. Wouldn't it honor the awesome work more, if the high resolution images look similar?
Probably, but those high-res images are intended for the design screen, and there you need a viewpoint that works well with the placing of the ship part slots.
yes. as a quick and dirty example:
Attachments
current.png
current.png (215.5 KiB) Viewed 7714 times
in-my-mind.png
in-my-mind.png (227.57 KiB) Viewed 7714 times
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project (this includes pullrequest of the useraccount banduri at github)

banduri
Space Floater

#51 Post by banduri »

Based on the high res images I think my imagination may differ on what an internal, external or core part is.

banduri
Space Floater

#52 Post by banduri »

Also I think it would be helpful if the artist / designer of the hulls could give a hint, what might me a good position for a slot.
An other example
Attachments
xentro.png
xentro.png (152.86 KiB) Viewed 7713 times

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#53 Post by MatGB »

I've thought, more than once, that it would be better, whenever possible, to have the slots not on the art at all, some of them have been really difficult to place.

But yeah, if artists are able to give me (or Sloth, but he's not about at the moment) hints that'd be grand because sometimes I'm clueless (and more than once I've forgotten completely).
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

banduri
Space Floater

#54 Post by banduri »

MatGB wrote:I've thought, more than once, that it would be better, whenever possible, to have the slots not on the art at all, some of them have been really difficult to place.
Did some drawing with gimp based on that idea. The "layout" section on the right shows the selected ship parts grouped by internal, external and core slots. All slots are shown but one external slot is left empty. On the left site of the Design Details are some stats of the current design listed to instantly see how a ship part changes the stats for every species the empire consists of. I'm thinking maybe a nice background for the Design Details panel.
Attachments
DesignManager.png
DesignManager.png (674.89 KiB) Viewed 7697 times

Cpeosphoros
Space Kraken

#55 Post by Cpeosphoros »

banduri wrote:
MatGB wrote:I've thought, more than once, that it would be better, whenever possible, to have the slots not on the art at all, some of them have been really difficult to place.
Did some drawing with gimp based on that idea. The "layout" section on the right shows the selected ship parts grouped by internal, external and core slots. All slots are shown but one external slot is left empty. On the left site of the Design Details are some stats of the current design listed to instantly see how a ship part changes the stats for every species the empire consists of. I'm thinking maybe a nice background for the Design Details panel.
Loved it, really. The stats info list on the left of the central panel is really, really, really a must have, even if the idea of moving the slots out to another panel is not approved. Way better than having only the dynamic pedia document we got as of now.

Just on a minor note, the "Clear parts" button should, IMO, be moved to the new Layout panel (at the right).
All contributions are released under GPL or LGPL v2 or later, or under appropriate Creative Commons licence, consistent with project guidelines.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#56 Post by Geoff the Medio »

banduri wrote:The "layout" section on the right shows the selected ship parts grouped by internal, external and core slots.
How will that work with ~27 slots (eg. Solar hull)

banduri
Space Floater

#57 Post by banduri »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
banduri wrote:The "layout" section on the right shows the selected ship parts grouped by internal, external and core slots.
How will that work with ~27 slots (eg. Solar hull)
Note sure. A scrollbar and resize similar to the ship parts i suppose.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#58 Post by Vezzra »

banduri wrote:yes. as a quick and dirty example:
Hm, not bad. I've always been a purist when it came to the perspective of the hull pics on the design screen (strictly side view), but these examples look like they could work. Will require a lot of re-rendering of those hull pics (at least where we have the 3D model source files) and redoing of the placements of the slots, but if someone is willing to do it, why not.

Patches welcome 8)

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#59 Post by Vezzra »

banduri wrote:
I've to admit, that looks really nice. However, doing things that way is a really huge waste of screen space. Using such a huge portion of the design screen just for a big image of the hull doesn't strike me as very practical. People with smaller screens in particular won't be happy with that.

So, as nice at it looks having the slots in an extra window and dedicating such a big screen area to the hull image, I don't think that will work. Having the stats on the left side of the hull image is a different matter, that could actually work, we might have to shrink the hull images though, and rearrange the slot positions so the stats don't get partly obscured by large hulls with lots of slots.

banduri
Space Floater

#60 Post by banduri »

Vezzra wrote:Will require a lot of re-rendering of those hull pics (at least where we have the 3D model source files) and redoing of the placements of the slots, but if someone is willing to do it, why not.
What format are the 3d models and where can I find them? If I can open the format in blender or other open source software there should be no problem.