0.4 UI thread

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
adrian_broher
Programmer

Re: 0.4 UI thread

#31 Post by adrian_broher »

The Silent One wrote:What I meant is, I'm not sure how to use gitHub, on sourceforge I used to commit content directly to trunk. But I guess creating my own fork and sending pull requests like I did is the way to go?
Yes, this is the preferred approach.
The Silent One wrote:I agree, rather than starvation, it could be called "colony_pop_decrease" or similar. For colony destruction, I had a little more figurative approach in mind:
I'm having a hard time recognizing what this icon could represent. If it should be a broken glass dome you maybe remove or break the background arc too to make the brokenness more obvious. Maybe adding/replacing the smoke with an iconic flame could help also.

I think those icons would be ideal candidates for SVG asset source files, given the style they made, allowing to create one source asset and decide afterwards what's the best resolution for the released textures. What's the tool you use to create those assets?

Also I would like to point out that I like the mockup of the production screen from your first post very much. When I have some time I would like to do some more changes to it (slightly different arrangement of some parts, adding some controls, refine some controls), but it is a great start.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

The Silent One
Graphics

#32 Post by The Silent One »

adrian_broher wrote:I'm having a hard time recognizing what this icon could represent. If it should be a broken glass dome you maybe remove or break the background arc too to make the brokenness more obvious. Maybe adding/replacing the smoke with an iconic flame could help also.
I agree. I'll get back to it soon.
adrian_broher wrote:I think those icons would be ideal candidates for SVG asset source files, given the style they made, allowing to create one source asset and decide afterwards what's the best resolution for the released textures. What's the tool you use to create those assets?
I use gimp, so the source file type is .xcf (no vector graphics), and the source files are at 512x512.
adrian_broher wrote:Also I would like to point out that I like the mockup of the production screen from your first post very much. When I have some time I would like to do some more changes to it (slightly different arrangement of some parts, adding some controls, refine some controls), but it is a great start.
Glad you do and sure, go ahead!

... I also put some more thought into my feature suggestion "hide sitrep items". Firstly, I think hiding the items could, alternatively to showing a clickable checkmark on mouse-over, be done by double-clicking the item, like it does in the production / research queue (only there, the item gets deleted).
I believe this would require only little coding effort. It would only take (no guarantees ;) ):

Code: Select all

1. a boolean variable "visibility" for the sitrep item class, initialized to "true"
2. a function "sitrep entry double-clicked" that:
     - sets sitrepItem->visibility to false (if it is an item from the current turn)
     - triggers the sitrep window to redraw
3. a change to the sitrep drawing procedure, that skips items with visibility = false
4. on the end of the turn, all sitrep items (of the current turn)->visibility are set back to "true"
So this would be simpler then the green check-mark and use the design language of the design and production screen. ... Aside from the coding, how do you feel about this feature?
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#33 Post by Dilvish »

The Silent One wrote:

Code: Select all

1. a boolean variable "visibility" for the sitrep item class, initialized to "true"
2. a function "sitrep entry double-clicked" that:
     - sets sitrepItem->visibility to false (if it is an item from the current turn)
     - triggers the sitrep window to redraw
3. a change to the sitrep drawing procedure, that skips items with visibility = false
4. on the end of the turn, all sitrep items (of the current turn)->visibility are set back to "true"
So this would be simpler then the green check-mark and use the design language of the design and production screen. ... Aside from the coding, how do you feel about this feature?
The green check mark approach was something I didn't want to touch, but I agree that this approach seems much more readily do-able, though not without some complications to think through. As a point of nomenclature I would call this idea 'dismissing' a sitrep, since the visibility concept overlaps with the hiding by template which is already done. One thing to note-- Sitreps are received entirely anew each turn from the Server, so if the dismissal were kept as an attribute of the sitrep, they would be automatically reset each turn. I'm not sure that's really best though-- I think that once I dismiss a sitrep I would much prefer it to stay dismissed until I caused that to be cleared. It seems to me likely to be worth the extra hassle of adding a right-click function 'Reinstate this turn's dismissed SitReps', and figuring out a decent way to store the dismissal information at the SitrepWindow level instead of at the SitRepEntry level.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

The Silent One
Graphics

#34 Post by The Silent One »

Sounds good to me, I have nothing to add.
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

The Silent One
Graphics

#35 Post by The Silent One »

adrian_broher wrote:I'm having a hard time recognizing what this icon could represent. If it should be a broken glass dome you maybe remove or break the background arc too to make the brokenness more obvious. Maybe adding/replacing the smoke with an iconic flame could help also.
I couldn't get any "flame-smoke-ruin" type icon to work on a small size, so I settled for the ones below. The meaning should be clear enough!?
Attachments
colony_destroyed_own.png
colony_destroyed_own.png (5.42 KiB) Viewed 8211 times
colony_destroyed.png
colony_destroyed.png (5.71 KiB) Viewed 8211 times

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#36 Post by Vezzra »

The Silent One wrote:I use gimp, so the source file type is .xcf (no vector graphics), and the source files are at 512x512.
Well, it's still a source file, and should go into our assets repo. Can you commit the source files for the graphics you've produced so far to the freeorion-assets repo (you already have commit access to it)? Instructions on how to use that repo is included in its README.md.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#37 Post by Vezzra »

The Silent One wrote:I couldn't get any "flame-smoke-ruin" type icon to work on a small size, so I settled for the ones below. The meaning should be clear enough!?
Look fine to me (don't forget to commit any source files you used to the assets repo).

The Silent One
Graphics

#38 Post by The Silent One »

Vezzra wrote:Can you commit the source files for the graphics you've produced so far to the freeorion-assets repo (you already have commit access to it)? Instructions on how to use that repo is included in its README.md.
I'll do that soon (on the weekend).

The Silent One
Graphics

#39 Post by The Silent One »

Vezzra wrote:Can you commit the source files for the graphics you've produced so far to the freeorion-assets repo (you already have commit access to it)?
Done.
Dilvish wrote:"UI.sitrep-icon-size" default 16, range 10 to 32; font size is kept at 75% of the icon size, consistent with previous default values. ( https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/pull/147 )
Would you mind making the text size adjustable independently of the icon size? At large icon sizes, the text will get too large in relation to the icon. Also, I'd prefer to cap the icon size at 64. (If noone objects, I would give it a try myself.)

The Silent One
Graphics

#40 Post by The Silent One »

I'm not entirely pleased with the look of the colony icons I made recently. I like the ones below better, any objections to commit?
Attachments
colony_growth.png
colony_growth.png (3.45 KiB) Viewed 8104 times
colony_decrease.png
colony_decrease.png (3.44 KiB) Viewed 8104 times
colony_bombarded.png
colony_bombarded.png (3.67 KiB) Viewed 8104 times

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#41 Post by Vezzra »

Hm, even at that size the difference between colony_decrease and colony_bombarded is quite subtle. Will the difference be discernible at all at smaller sizes...?

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#42 Post by MatGB »

Vezzra wrote:Hm, even at that size the difference between colony_decrease and colony_bombarded is quite subtle. Will the difference be discernible at all at smaller sizes...?
Not to me, and while I know my eyesight isn't what it was it's still not ideal (although they would, normally, be separated on the sitrep list that's not always guaranteed).

I do like the flatter base on the increase/decrease ones, but I quite like the current (but new-ish) bombardment pics.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#43 Post by AndrewW »

Changing the color for the bombardment one and/or making the explosion bigger would help with separating them from each other.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#44 Post by Dilvish »

Along the lines of what AndrewW suggested-- perhaps have the dome around the explosion portion of the bombard icon be orange, fading back to the blue of the rest of the dome, with the fade region taking up perhaps half the dome length.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

The Silent One
Graphics

#45 Post by The Silent One »

I have reworked the icons, increasing the size of the "increase/decrease/bombard" markers and changing the colors. And I like how they look now. However, trying them out ingame I find that they work well at 32x32, ... and not at all at 20x20. So either I / we accept that they don't look optimal on small sizes, or I remove the colony part of the icon and just leave the arrow style markers. What do you guys think?
Attachments
colony_growth.png
colony_growth.png (3.8 KiB) Viewed 8066 times
colony_decrease.png
colony_decrease.png (3.11 KiB) Viewed 8066 times
colony_bombarded.png
colony_bombarded.png (3.31 KiB) Viewed 8066 times