0.4 UI thread

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
The Silent One
Graphics

Re: 0.4 UI thread

#16 Post by The Silent One »

Thank you.
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

The Silent One
Graphics

#17 Post by The Silent One »

More icons for the sitrep (very basic since they are used at such a small size):
Attachments
colony-starvation.png
colony-starvation.png (3.88 KiB) Viewed 8369 times
colony-growth.png
colony-growth.png (3.77 KiB) Viewed 8369 times
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

The Silent One
Graphics

#18 Post by The Silent One »

I feel like I'm talking in monologue, I hope you guys don't mind me collecting my ideas here!
I have another suggestion for the sitrep: I'd really like to be able to alter the size of the sitrep entries. This would be especially helpful on displays with a high resolution (and in combination with my previous suggestion) - on my screen it is really hard to read the entries at 16x16. Mockup below. Also, new "colony bombarded" icons.
Feedback would be appreciated :)
Attachments
colony-bombardement-own.png
colony-bombardement-own.png (4.99 KiB) Viewed 8354 times
colony-bombardement.png
colony-bombardement.png (5.23 KiB) Viewed 8354 times
sitrep.png
sitrep.png (329.52 KiB) Viewed 8354 times

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#19 Post by MatGB »

Not monologue, but probably ought to mention I can't change the 'colony has reached size 3' or 'colony has been destroyed' icons as, AFAICS, they're called directly from the C+ code, if I'm wrong I'll do it. I like the look of these and now I'm on a larger screen I concur about the size sometimes being too small.

Any other opinions?

Basically, if you've got an icon designed for an existing sitrep, make that clear and I'll look at whether I can change it in the scripts or if one of the actual devs needs to do backend stuff.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#20 Post by Geoff the Medio »

MatGB wrote:...I can't change the 'colony has reached size 3' or 'colony has been destroyed' icons as, AFAICS, they're called directly from the C+ code...
The former ooks to me to be coming from an effectsgroup in SHP_GAL_EXPLO tech.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#21 Post by Dilvish »

The Silent One wrote:I'd really like to be able to alter the size of the sitrep entries. This would be especially helpful on displays with a high resolution (and in combination with my previous suggestion) - on my screen it is really hard to read the entries at 16x16.
If it's a matter of reading the entries, the font size is controlled by the overall font size setting controllable via Options->UI. But I realize there are other uses of that setting which significantly constrain increases to it. You caught me in a mood to do some UI coding, so you're in luck-- https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/pull/147 -- we'll see what everyone else thinks of it...
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

wheals
Space Squid

#22 Post by wheals »

MatGB wrote:Not monologue, but probably ought to mention I can't change the 'colony has reached size 3' or 'colony has been destroyed' icons as, AFAICS, they're called directly from the C+ code, if I'm wrong I'll do it.
I'm pretty sure it would be fine to just replace the files in your local copy and push the changes. I can't imagine there would be code changes, especially if the size of the icons doesn't change, at least from what I've seen of the code.
All my code and content provided herein or on GitHub is released under the GPL 2.0 and/or CC-BY-SA 3.0, as appropriate.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#23 Post by MatGB »

wheals wrote:
MatGB wrote:Not monologue, but probably ought to mention I can't change the 'colony has reached size 3' or 'colony has been destroyed' icons as, AFAICS, they're called directly from the C+ code, if I'm wrong I'll do it.
I'm pretty sure it would be fine to just replace the files in your local copy and push the changes. I can't imagine there would be code changes, especially if the size of the icons doesn't change, at least from what I've seen of the code.
Depends what they're being used for, in many sitrep cases there are shared icons for many things, this is making icons so we can split that up, which means you've got to find where the sitrep is generated in the first place, which isn't always clear (Geoff thinks one of the ones I couldn't find is in one of the unlocked at start of game techs, which I really do need to learn to check more for this sort of thing)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

wheals
Space Squid

#24 Post by wheals »

MatGB wrote: Depends what they're being used for, in many sitrep cases there are shared icons for many things, this is making icons so we can split that up, which means you've got to find where the sitrep is generated in the first place, which isn't always clear (Geoff thinks one of the ones I couldn't find is in one of the unlocked at start of game techs, which I really do need to learn to check more for this sort of thing)
Aha, I see.

edit: Thinking about it, it probably shouldn't be too hard to find the name of the current icon by looking through the art/icons/sitrep directory, searching the code for where that file name is referenced, and replacing it. Of course, if it is in the C++ code you'd have to compile afterwards to make sure it worked out alright.
All my code and content provided herein or on GitHub is released under the GPL 2.0 and/or CC-BY-SA 3.0, as appropriate.

The Silent One
Graphics

#25 Post by The Silent One »

wheals wrote:Thinking about it, it probably shouldn't be too hard to find the name of the current icon by looking through the art/icons/sitrep directory, searching the code for where that file name is referenced, and replacing it. Of course, if it is in the C++ code you'd have to compile afterwards to make sure it worked out alright.
That's a good idea and you are correct :)
SitRepEntry.cpp contains all the links to the sitrep icons. Knowing this, I will make a pull request for the new icons and the changed .cpp file soon.
Dilvish wrote:You caught me in a mood to do some UI coding, so you're in luck-- https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/pull/147 -- we'll see what everyone else thinks of it...
Great, thanks. Let me know if the mood persists!

The Silent One
Graphics

#26 Post by The Silent One »

The Silent One wrote:SitRepEntry.cpp contains all the links to the sitrep icons. Knowing this, I will make a pull request for the new icons and the changed .cpp file soon.
Actually, I'm wrong, it's not all of them. "SITREP_POP_THRESHOLD" is created in techs.txt. I guess there is a specific reason that the sitrep entry "types" are created in different parts of the source code?

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#27 Post by MatGB »

Most sitreps are meant to be user scriptable/changeable, only the ones that are part of the guts of the game are hardcoded in the backend, ideally as many as possible should be scriptable (and therefore in default and changeable without recompiling).
Mat Bowles

The Silent One
Graphics

#28 Post by The Silent One »

I have put up a pull request for the icons on GitHub, first attempt, please tell me if I did it the right way.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#29 Post by MatGB »

The PR looks fine, can't comment on the content as it's C+ backend and that's beyond me (although it looks right from a strictly layman's perspective). Like I said there, I'd use the icon you called 'starvation' for colony destruction of any kind, depopulation, etc.
Mat Bowles

The Silent One
Graphics

#30 Post by The Silent One »

MatGB wrote:The PR looks fine, can't comment on the content as it's C+ backend and that's beyond me (although it looks right from a strictly layman's perspective).
What I meant is, I'm not sure how to use gitHub, on sourceforge I used to commit content directly to trunk. But I guess creating my own fork and sending pull requests like I did is the way to go?
MatGB wrote:Like I said there, I'd use the icon you called 'starvation' for colony destruction of any kind, depopulation, etc.
I agree, rather than starvation, it could be called "colony_pop_decrease" or similar. For colony destruction, I had a little more figurative approach in mind:
Attachments
colony-destroyed-own.png
colony-destroyed-own.png (3.16 KiB) Viewed 8288 times
colony-destroyed.png
colony-destroyed.png (3.27 KiB) Viewed 8288 times