splash v0.3

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
That Guy
Dyson Forest

#1 Post by That Guy »

Lol, WATCH OUT! We don't know about ship paint and we have pretty clouds, but we will still kick your butt!

Just kidding. The clouds and Earth themselves are really great, I am just not a fan of the cloud layout. And the ship, while having amazing modelling work done, looks like it is lacking texture. Also the atmosphere at the edge of the planet is abit intense. Still great.

And if you didn't want critque, then ignore the above paragraphs. Much better than I could do. I am struggling on modelling a federation lifeboat... :oops:
"The one perfect impossibility is perfection."

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

What colour depth did you render at? There looks to be some rather harsh dithering... esp. on the ship. (maybe it's just compression artifacts...?)

leiavoia
Space Kraken

#3 Post by leiavoia »

the "ship dithering" is a texture i believe. It's not in the rest of the scene.

nightwalker
Space Floater

#4 Post by nightwalker »

i got some more to come if you want.
it was rendered in Bryce, planet done with the crappy Lunacell and Universe Plugin
sorry that it wasnt Dr Who Quality :)
Memories in time are like tears in rain.

Obiwan
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#5 Post by Obiwan »

More by Nightwalker

Marijn
Space Squid

#6 Post by Marijn »

They are great, I like the ship especially. Only gripe I have is that your stars tend to look like fireworks. I think making them a little less bright would solve this.

noelte
Juggernaut

#7 Post by noelte »

I like the last pic most (attacked battle cruiser). great!

earth at the first looks a little bit artifical to me, the clouds too.
Press any key to continue or any other key to cancel.
Can COWs fly?

charlieg
Space Floater

#8 Post by charlieg »

Wow, all those pics are cool.

I do like the last the most, as the clouds in the first are a little... artificial. They are great but just missing something. Perhaps extra clouds to balance the extreme cloud formations - cloud cover tends to look much more random and less well formed. Check out the 'blue marble' Nasa shots of earth.

Anyway, why not have 2 or 3 splash screens and pick one randomly at startup? That'd be quite cool. :)

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#9 Post by Daveybaby »

Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. Nice.

Still dont like the amount of detail on those ship models though. They look like theyve got a disease or something. Too many lumps.
The COW Project : You have a spy in your midst.

drek
Designer Emeritus

#10 Post by drek »

I dig the concepts in these pictures. This stuff would look cool with pd's planets in place of the lunarcell planets, better starfields (wierd how some stars look blurry and others pixellated), and a textured starship model.

miu
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#11 Post by miu »

I agree with Drek, great ideas but more work with details here and there needed, I specially like the last one. About the Obiwan's ship, I dont totally dislike all that detail, its more organised than normally seen on spaceships and reminds me of ships in Battlefleet Gothic (check http://us.games-workshop.com/games/bfg/ ... mperor.htm ) I just have to love spaceship with huge golden statue of emperor on top of it and all that decoration :)
Anyway, good work Nightwalker, waiting to see more.
Difference between a man and a gentleman is that a man does what he wants, a gentleman does what he should. - Albert Camus

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#12 Post by Impaler »

I like the Galaxy one the best, the use of pink and blue is very original.
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

BreadMan
Space Squid

#13 Post by BreadMan »

Some nice stuff, first one definitely needs a bit of work but the other two look ok.

Ok, this may be mostly a personal peeve, but I'd like to make a request here. Anybody who is doing artwork, or is thinking of doing artwork that is space related, please go download Celestia (http://shatters.net/celestia/) and spend a few hours with it. It really is the most accurate simulation of the galaxy and our solar system out there, especially if you go to the motherlode (http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/) and download some 2k, 4k, or 8k textures. You can get screenshots where you can't tell the difference between Celestia and the blue marble photos.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for being artistic and I definitely understand realism takes a backseat to other things, especially when it comes to games. But I also hail from a decent astronomy background, and it makes me happy to see things somewhat accurate. If nothing else, Celestia will give you a sense of scale. Like I said its mostly a personal thing, but it urks me when I see a planet with a huge moon hovering like 100 miles away (I'm not referring to any particular pictures here, just in general). Our moon orbits 240,000 miles away and is about 2/3rds the size of the continental US. Something like that would have to be orbiting at such an incredible rate to not crash straight to the surface.

Anyway, maybe this should go in rants and raves, but go download Celestia nonetheless.

Obiwan
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#14 Post by Obiwan »

I have to admit that when i saw the first pict I liked it. Totally unrealistic planet and clouds but something about the composition just immediatly appealed.
BattleFleet Gothic, thats really cool stuff. Have read quite a few related novels like Shadowpoint and Exicution Hour. Brilliant Gothic space opera.
Have done many 40K models too.
The basis of the cruiser was indeed a BFG model I made back in 2001.

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#15 Post by Daveybaby »

Theres one thing thats been bugging me for a while now, and i've only just realised what it is. How do we write 'freeorion'?

is it FreeOrion or Freeorion or Free Orion?

Having it as 2 completely separate words just looks wrong to me. Dont really know why - no concrete arguments. Just feels wrong somehow.
The COW Project : You have a spy in your midst.