Adrian's Graphics

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Adrian
Space Floater

Adrian's Graphics

#1 Post by Adrian »

Any graphics posted in this thread by me I release under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 license.

Adrian
Space Floater

Re: Adrian's Graphics

#2 Post by Adrian »

A ship icon for the "monsters" category. I went with Sentinel, but feel free to pick another monster if it fits better.
FreeOrion_Sentinel.png
FreeOrion_Sentinel.png (58.56 KiB) Viewed 16371 times

BraveSirKevin
Space Squid

#3 Post by BraveSirKevin »

Nice work Adrian! :)

Adrian
Space Floater

#4 Post by Adrian »

Another one for the monsters category. Maybe the Warden?
Warden.png
Warden.png (180.75 KiB) Viewed 16315 times
Do let me know if you're gonna use these (or if I can commit them somewhere). If not, I'll save myself the work :lol:
BraveSirKevin wrote:Nice work Adrian! :)
Thanks Brian!

pheonixstorm
Space Squid

#5 Post by pheonixstorm »

That one is just creepy. Looks like some parasitic noodle monster.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#6 Post by Dilvish »

I think that might be a good fit for a medium space krill -- maybe you could make a similar, simpler, one for small krill, and then something augmented somehow for a large space krill. that's just what comes to mind for me...
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I quite like the sentinal image, and will replace the existing very simple image with it. Could variations be made for sentry and warden, which currently look similar?

The latest image doesn't really fit krill or warden, IMO... At least it doesn't resemble their current appearance, and krill is really a swarm, not a single creature. It mos resembles kraken, I think, though looking at it, I'd have said "leach". If there could be a few variations made, I'd perhaps use it for kraken, though.

Adrian
Space Floater

#8 Post by Adrian »

Yeah, it doesn't resemble anything present, that's true. I asked in another thread whether the monsters had any description and was told that they currently don't, so I gave myself artistic freedom. Describing real animals, Krill, Kraken or Snail trigger specific ideas in the viewer's mind, while some of the others don't. In other words, if the Warden isn't restricted into a certain shape by its stats, this could simply be the new Warden. Right now Sentinel, Sentry and Warden are visual variations of each other.

p.s. I can whip out more for the others later, but I think that some like Kraken and Juggernaut look pretty cool already. I'd rather cover the less detailed icons first.

Adrian
Space Floater

#9 Post by Adrian »

Unnamed Ship Hull #1

Here a new ship hull. I don't know if it fits any of the descriptions, I think of it as a medium size. Maybe someone can replace one of the older graphics with it.
FreeOrion_UnnamedHull_(icon).png
FreeOrion_UnnamedHull_(icon).png (50.36 KiB) Viewed 16078 times
<---- Front
FreeOrion_UnnamedHull_(design).png
FreeOrion_UnnamedHull_(design).png (747.42 KiB) Viewed 16078 times
p.s. I noticed that nearly all hulls in the design view point left-to-right, while those very early designs seem to point the other way.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#10 Post by MatGB »

I like the look of that, will have to give thought about what it could be applied to, perhaps when we've finished overhauling the current hull range for balance it'll fit what we finish wit.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#11 Post by eleazar »

Nice!

The sentinel, warden, and whatever the third one are all guards of various strength left behind by the precursors. Thus i would expect them to look like a series, growing bigger, cooler and more powerful as it advances.

The noodle monster is well-done, but due to it's lighting, and lack of color, it's details doesn't hold up well when used at small sizes. I think it would work for krill too, except the point of krill is the more powerful versions are simply swarms with more individuals, since the swarms can combine to make more powerful ones.

Dilvish

#12 Post by Dilvish »

eleazar wrote:The noodle monster is well-done... I think it would work for krill too, except the point of krill is the more powerful versions are simply swarms with more individuals, since the swarms can combine to make more powerful ones.
so perhaps one version with just like ~5 of the trailing 'noodles'/threads and a smaller mouth, then maybe ~10, and then for the large the one shown here?
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#13 Post by eleazar »

Dilvish wrote:
eleazar wrote:The noodle monster is well-done... I think it would work for krill too, except the point of krill is the more powerful versions are simply swarms with more individuals, since the swarms can combine to make more powerful ones.
so perhaps one version with just like ~5 of the trailing 'noodles'/threads and a smaller mouth, then maybe ~10, and then for the large the one shown here?
That would be a waste of a good model. They would just be little blobs with that many.

Dilvish

#14 Post by Dilvish »

eleazar wrote:That would be a waste of a good model. They would just be little blobs with that many.
? Ah, perhaps you and I used 'noodle' differently, I wasn't saying the whole thing pictured above was a single noodle; each of the little tendrils (of which it seems to me perhaps 25-40 are pictured in the above model) was what I thought of as a 'noodle', and my suggestion was that the large krill would be the exact model shown, so I don't see what model would get wasted.