Crystal Plating Graphic

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
BraveSirKevin
Space Squid

Crystal Plating Graphic

#1 Post by BraveSirKevin »

256x256

64x64

The current diamond armor plating wasn't really doing it for me, so I thought I'd try my hand at making something that looked a little more like it was made of diamond.

Feel free to use it if you want.

I release this contribution for you to use under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licence.

Num7
Space Squid

Re: Crystal Plating Graphic

#2 Post by Num7 »

I think it looks good. The edges look a bit rough in the full sized version though.
If this post contains code, it's released under GPL 2.0 or later.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#3 Post by Bigjoe5 »

I like it in general, though I would have to agree with Marc that it is literally "a little rough around the edges".

If you want to smooth it out, there's no rush, but if you're not planning on working on it anymore, I don't really see a problem with committing it as-is.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

BraveSirKevin
Space Squid

#4 Post by BraveSirKevin »

I've cleaned up the matte lines, but they weren't showing up in the 64 x 64 version anyway.

Also did a brighter version because currently crystal and diamond plating are using the same graphic but they really should have unique icons.

Not sure if you need anything else from me on this particularly one, but if you do let me know.

Thinking of giving the rock armour a go later. Would that be worth it?

The only ship parts with missing graphics now are the Distortion Modulator and the Nova Bomb, unless there's some hidden techs that don't have graphics and that need them. Is anyone working on these two?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#5 Post by Vezzra »

BraveSirKevin wrote:I've cleaned up the matte lines, but they weren't showing up in the 64 x 64 version anyway.

Also did a brighter version because currently crystal and diamond plating are using the same graphic but they really should have unique icons.
I've incorporated both graphics, commit 6342.
Thinking of giving the rock armour a go later. Would that be worth it?
Sure, go ahead :D
The only ship parts with missing graphics now are the Distortion Modulator and the Nova Bomb, unless there's some hidden techs that don't have graphics and that need them. Is anyone working on these two?
No, AFAIK.

You can also look at the building icons, I think there are quite a lot buildings using the generic graphic. Same goes for the tech icons, there are many that just use the standard icon for their category. Although, AFAIK, tech icons have to conform to special requirements. They have to be greyscale and should match the style set by the existing icons. Eleazar can probably give you more details on that.

BraveSirKevin
Space Squid

#6 Post by BraveSirKevin »

Put the rock graphic here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7725

Stayed away from the buildings because there's actually a whole lot of awesome buildings that have been done already that haven't been committed yet. It's hard to see what needs doing and where. Might have a look at some tech icons though, though I didn't really notice that many were missing until you pointed it out.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#7 Post by Bigjoe5 »

BraveSirKevin wrote:Stayed away from the buildings because there's actually a whole lot of awesome buildings that have been done already that haven't been committed yet.
Which icons are you referring to?
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

BraveSirKevin
Space Squid

#8 Post by BraveSirKevin »

These ones on page 7 of the Building Icons thread. There are others as well, but I grabbed that because it was a single image that showed a lot of unused buildings.
Cmd. Marko wrote:That's quite awesome, pd. You could say that it's the building version of the Free Orion logo, because of the colors and the red-star-cross in the middle. Hmm ... it does open up some design features I didn't think about until now in my building designs. Thank you very much.
Here's a retrospective post, again, with all the buildings plus the 2 PsiCorps (which at this point can exist as two separate buildings).

L.E. Take your time pd, because, if I understand correctly, the building mechanics are still not fully understood. So, there's no rush for final building icons.
A handful of them have landed up in the game, but that was posted more than 2 years ago and I've not seen those buildings outside of that thread, so I assumed that the stuff was not being commited but there was already a team that had that stuff covered.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#9 Post by Vezzra »

BraveSirKevin wrote:A handful of them have landed up in the game, but that was posted more than 2 years ago and I've not seen those buildings outside of that thread, so I assumed that the stuff was not being commited but there was already a team that had that stuff covered.
The majority of these icon graphics actually is in the repository, although not all of them are currently used by the game. Maybe because the buildings they were made for have been removed from the game at some point, or never made it in the game.

Eleazar (our graphics lead) can probably tell you more on the reasons why some graphics haven't been committed, why several that have aren't used by the game, and what building icon graphics are still needed. However, he's not been around much lately because he's busy with some projects ATM (IIRC at least until end of summer). So it might take some time until he responds.

yandonman
Creative Contributor

#10 Post by yandonman »

Your graphics look good, dude. Keep it up!

wrt buildings - most of those graphics look like they came from the 80's - by all means, if you think of something that you think is better, do it!
Code released under GPL 2.0. Content released under GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#11 Post by eleazar »

BraveSirKevin wrote:A handful of them have landed up in the game, but that was posted more than 2 years ago and I've not seen those buildings outside of that thread, so I assumed that the stuff was not being commited but there was already a team that had that stuff covered.
I believe i put all those graphics in the game-- if not it was an oversight, please point out which ones i missed.

Not all are assigned to actual buildings in the game. Feel free to suggest or better make a patch that assigns the graphics to buildings in game.