A new ship...

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
That Guy
Dyson Forest

A new ship...

#1 Post by That Guy »

Last night, my poor cat, tigger, was hit by a car :( . So I decided to make a ship with cat like details that looks like my other one, as the cutter. I would have called it the tigger class, but that is abit weird, and copyrighted, so I have settled with the Tiger class.

I am uploading it now, it is at:
http://www.geocities.com/fothatguy/vrandtiger.jpg

Like normal, you will prolly have to copy that into the address bar.

RIP Tigger Kaludis
"The one perfect impossibility is perfection."

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#2 Post by utilae »

Most excelent, dude. The outer two look like cats, nice.

Xardas
Space Kraken

#3 Post by Xardas »

No file were found, have u still uploaded it?

That Guy
Dyson Forest

#4 Post by That Guy »

You have to copy it into the address bar, or it won't work.

And they do look like cats, but I modified them, and they look more like cats now, and are nicely smoothed. The cool part is it is made from one box, and is only like 600 polygons.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#5 Post by pd »

hmm, only 600 polys ? that way too much ;)

That Guy
Dyson Forest

#6 Post by That Guy »

Lol, that is actually my problem. We have like a limit of 5000, yet unless I go meshsmooth to hell, I can't get past 1000...

Seems like a waste. But smoothing groups prolly helps alot.

miu
Graphics Lead Emeritus

again about polycount

#7 Post by miu »

pd: As the battle-engine is not done/designed yet and people still insist on making spaceship on this early stage, we've kept quideline of under 5000 polys. The engine quite probaply will scale the detail models down, so it's better to do them too high detail than too low, because adding details afterwards would be too difficult. Take a peek on general quidelines thread :)

That guy: Good progress, can't wait to see the final version.
Difference between a man and a gentleman is that a man does what he wants, a gentleman does what he should. - Albert Camus

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#8 Post by pd »

5000 polys for 1 ship?

so if both sides come with 20 ships we would have about 100000 polys. no engine can handle this on a home pc.

ut2k3 models have a poly count of about 2000(2000 faces). and fo doesn't need such detailed models.

i think you need some extrem low poly stuff for fo, cuz you will have many ships. and they will be quite small. so i would say we shouldn't use more then 150(!) polys. this should be the absolute maximum for the large ships.

i'll create some ship models, when i finish my current personal projects. and you will see that 150 polys are more then enough ;)

That Guy
Dyson Forest

#9 Post by That Guy »

pd, they have a graphics engine that too my understanding, it re tessellates models and textures to lower polygons/resolutions the farther you go away, like level of detail thing.

And while I can't really work with 150, 1000 is good enough for all but the largest for me.

miu
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#10 Post by miu »

And if the engine is good at scaling models down, it might well show ships nearby (specially with close zoom) with much higher polycount than those far away. Please people, do planetary graphics and tech graphics. I know the ships are juicy to design, but as we _can't_ know the capabilities of the engine yet, work done at this stage can go wasted. And tech graphics can be quite wonderful to work with as well, design graphs for hich-tech factories, guns, cyborgs/soldiers, tanks, planetary shield generators, medicine, advaned farming systems, bombs, hulls, viruses etc.. use your imagination and no need to worry so much about high polycount and these are needed well before any shipdesigns.
Difference between a man and a gentleman is that a man does what he wants, a gentleman does what he should. - Albert Camus

That Guy
Dyson Forest

#11 Post by That Guy »

I know that, the ships are actaully to refine my skills, I was gonna work on techs today. But you also have to realize that sci fi ships are my thing, and they have been for a while...

Well, going to work on techs now...

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#12 Post by Aquitaine »

Just a quick heads up -

We will be starting work on developing actual tech tree content probably within the next month.

-Aq
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

That Guy
Dyson Forest

#13 Post by That Guy »

Well, I can keep it general. It it might help generate ideas, etc.

And since I have nothing else to do... might as well. Practice makes near perfect. Nothing is perfect.