Menu Screen

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Eistoeter
Space Floater

Menu Screen

#1 Post by Eistoeter »

Hi

In the title screen is a planet in the background and there is a space station. Somehow that space station doesn't fit into the picture. Of course it's only a detail but that was one of the first things i noticed. What do you think?

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#2 Post by Zanzibar »

I think you are seriously delusional. Of course, that's just my opinion, but let's look at some facts backing this opinion up. First: This game hasn't even been released yet. Not even the pre-pre-pre alpha version is available to anyone (v 0.1). So, I have no clue what game it is you are seeing this on, but it very clearly is NOT free orion. So, if the game hasn't been released, how can there possibly be a title screen? Dude, here's a word of advice: stop smoking crack or whatever mind altering substances you are doing, because it's not helping. Have a nice day.

Xardas
Space Kraken

#3 Post by Xardas »

I think he is refering to this:

The Silent One
Graphics

#4 Post by The Silent One »

Yup, and there is the installer Joghurt created. - Although I agree that a discussion about the background would be inappropriate at this stage of development.

noelte
Juggernaut

#5 Post by noelte »

I thought it's a ship. (like voyager)

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#6 Post by Aquitaine »

You mean the sort of spidery guy between 'Free' and 'Orion'?

That's Nightfish.

(which is why he had to take off from hanging out as much as he used to, so he could go live on the title screen.)

sincerely,
Freeorion Marketing Dept.
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

Eistoeter
Space Floater

#7 Post by Eistoeter »

I mean that screen. Of course it's a very early version but so it's no problem to change such a thing. I said this is only a detail and maybe it's not worth a discussion, there are more important things. But this screen is one of the first impressions a player gets from the game and i think without that spaceship or whatever it is?? ... it would look a lot more professional

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#8 Post by Aquitaine »

Well, for what it's worth, I don't agree, but I'm only an amateur graphic artist and not much of a visual critic.

However, the nature of this project is such that, if you want to change it, come up with something new! We can talk all day about the pros and cons of a particular image, but if you have something better in mind, I'm sure the graphics team will entertain it.

(and this discussion is now in the graphics forum, where it should go...)
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#9 Post by Zanzibar »

I still say you are hallucinating. Lay off the drugs, dude.

Eistoeter
Space Floater

#10 Post by Eistoeter »

If the designer of this screen could send me the PSD File with the layers to [email protected] I think i could really push that splasher up a lot. Send i to me, i will edit it and you will see the difference.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#11 Post by pd »

why don't you create an entire new one? i will do so, if i find some time :)

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#12 Post by tzlaine »

Eistoeter wrote:If the designer of this screen could send me the PSD File with the layers to [email protected] I think i could really push that splasher up a lot. Send i to me, i will edit it and you will see the difference.
The guy who made that background pic has left the project. It was only meant to be temporary, anyway. You should create something more appropriate and better-looking from scratch if you don't like it.

miu
Graphics Lead Emeritus

about first screen.

#13 Post by miu »

I agree, that space-vagina in the middle should go. But alas, the original screen was made by Drek if my memory serves me right and the original is not available. (and if anyone can recognice the font, I would appreciate it). So, if someone feels like making a new splash-screen for next release, you're most welcome :)
Difference between a man and a gentleman is that a man does what he wants, a gentleman does what he should. - Albert Camus

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#14 Post by Aquitaine »

We could always just ask drek for it. I can email him if you like.

I seem to recall him making some disparaging remark about the beasty in the center, although I don't think I'll be able to forget reading the words 'space vagina' any time soon...

miu
Graphics Lead Emeritus

*grin*

#15 Post by miu »

It was said with humour :) but after reading how the Eye of Sauron was interpretended by feminists, that wasn't too far fetched. But now that you say, I think I'll mail him myself, I probaply do have his e-mail adress somewhere and I have some other things to ask as well. But thanks anyway :)
Difference between a man and a gentleman is that a man does what he wants, a gentleman does what he should. - Albert Camus