0.4 Ship Parts

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: 0.4 Ship Parts

#91 Post by pd »

Personally, I have no plans to revisit those icons, I think they came out quite good. I don't mind the mix or symbolism and realism either. If you see anything that needs improvement, you'll have to do it yourself.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#92 Post by Tortanick »

Alas, my lack of artistic ability prevents me.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#93 Post by eleazar »

Ground Troop Pod
Carries a brigade of ground troops and equipment that can be deployed onto a planet.

Among other ship parts icons, this one would be especially handy.

fungiant
Krill Swarm

#94 Post by fungiant »

I think it's time to add ship parts. I offer the following for discussion:

For armor plating, I colorized the current lead_armor_plating.png grey image to get the other images, because it is a really appropriate image for armor plating - well done!

crystal_armor_plating.png

In this image, I pulled the pink color from the mining crystal color. I thought long and hard about somehow integrating crystals into the picture, and discovered it was best to just colorize it.

rock_armor_plating.png

In this image, when I think of rocks, I typically think of brown and grey, and since grey is in use, I chose brown. I pondered about somehow integrating rocks into the picture, and discovered it was best to just colorize it.

neutronium_armor_plating.png

zortrium_armor_plating.png

Of these last two, I just chose hues that were separate and apart from the other colors. There is still room to add other hues, if other armor plating is added to the game.

Now for some originals, using the basic tiny hull, since it is most familiar to the players:

absorption_field.png

In this one, the description says that it makes the ship black, so hence it is black. I felt hard edges are best.

dimensional_cloak.png

I enjoyed doing this one. The way the dimensional cloak cloaks a planet is what I borrowed from to cloak the ship.

phasing_cloak.png

In this one, I took the ship an made the opacity to %36, as if it is fading out. I added red waves per the description, so they would stand out. I believe they are balanced.

Imagine all of these on grey backgrounds like in the game. I had added them to the game I was playing, and they worked well / looked good.

Well, now you have it. What do you think?

Adrian
Space Floater

#95 Post by Adrian »

I made this icon (192x192). Maybe it can be used as an armor plating? The Precursor Armor Plating seems to not have its own graphic.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#96 Post by eleazar »

Adrian wrote:Image
I made this icon (192x192). Maybe it can be used as an armor plating? The Precursor Armor Plating seems to not have its own graphic.
Looks, good but the precursor armor isn't user visible. Another need may turn up.

Sloth
Content Scripter

#97 Post by Sloth »

eleazar wrote: Looks, good but the precursor armor isn't user visible. Another need may turn up.
The icon could show up in the Pedia entry of the Precursor Armor Plating.
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

yandonman
Creative Contributor

#98 Post by yandonman »

Use it for diamond or zortium armor. All of the armors need better graphics, anyways.
Code released under GPL 2.0. Content released under GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#99 Post by Bigjoe5 »

yandonman wrote:Use it for diamond or zortium armor. All of the armors need better graphics, anyways.
I respectfully disagree. I was just thinking the other day that the significant majority of ship part icons are quite impressive.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

yandonman
Creative Contributor

#100 Post by yandonman »

The armors specifically are not of high quality. The general shape of the armor graphic looks like someone either slopped the plates down or is trying to close the top of a cardboard box (aka: the overlapping squares) vs Adrian's armor which looks sleek and high tech.

I guess it just depends on the bar for how the game should look. Compared to the very polished look of most games, for example SCII, FO isn't there yet.
Code released under GPL 2.0. Content released under GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#101 Post by Bigjoe5 »

yandonman wrote:The armors specifically are not of high quality. The general shape of the armor graphic looks like someone either slopped the plates down or is trying to close the top of a cardboard box (aka: the overlapping squares) vs Adrian's armor which looks sleek and high tech.

I guess it just depends on the bar for how the game should look. Compared to the very polished look of most games, for example SCII, FO isn't there yet.
FO isn't there yet for a lot of reasons. Low-quality ship part icons is not one of them, IMO. Low quality ship hull and building icons on the other hand, certainly are, as is, again in my opinion, the minimalist UI.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Adrian
Space Floater

#102 Post by Adrian »

I have one question: if I create additional graphics, do I simply state "I release this under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported" so you can use them freely if needed? And should I start my own thread, even if the graphics are for different categories (e.g. ship parts, buildings)?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#103 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Adrian wrote:I have [two] question
Yes, state that you release your contributions under that license. A new thread for your stuff is fine, or you can post to an existing thread about a particular type of contribution (as long as it's not also previously specifically about one person's contributions...).