The Junkyard (heavy picture load)

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Josh
Graphics

The Junkyard (heavy picture load)

#1 Post by Josh »

Hello there. I'm sure you're all wondering what this thread is for, especially those of you who are new to the project, so I'll dispense with the formalities and get straight to the point.
Quite a bit of artwork has been generated for Freeorion, especially in the way of icons, but as I'm sure you all know, not all artwork makes it into the game.

This is the Junkyard, a place where the spare parts and leftover art from other icons inside the project are left to gather dust after they served their purpose and no one could find further use for them. Some of these icons you might find on the internet by yourself, others were hand drawn, but what sets these apart is that they will save you time and energy if you use them . Take them, mix and match them, augment them, tack them onto other icons or whatever else you want. It would be a shame if all these icons were to fall by the wayside and goto waste, and this thread will serve several purposes and hopefully make life easier in general.
Because not all artwork "makes it", the leftovers can be stored here, where members can pick it up and recycle the images into new ideas. Graphics that are particular iconic can also go here where they can be easily replicated for further use. It might even be in the best interests of the community to make icons that are easily mixed and matched.

1) People will come, want to contribute, and have a ready source of art to work with and take from without having to scour the web or painstakingly draw their own.

2) Other artists will have a deposit of icons that can not only be mixed and matched, but can be used to augment existing icons and occasionally inspire to build stuff.

3. It will lastly help the community visually articulate their ideas when inspiration strikes them, and keep their ideas consistent with what is already submitted.

So here's what you do: right click a picture you like (or need), save the image, and photoshop it. Simple. With that said, this list will continue to grow and fill up with graphics that nobody knows what to do with in particular. Good hunting.

edit by pd: All content posted here is released using the same license as all our other artwork. Therefor it is allowed to use those images for any other projects besides freeOrion as well, but the authors have to be credited and the poducts have to be shared in a similar way.

To keep this thread useful it's best to have all images on a single page. Images should not be spread over a couple of pages somewhere in between comments. Anyone interested in adding content should create a new post and keep it updated by using the edit function. Reply to notify others of the change. Comments are basically fine too, but will be deleted regularly.

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Hi! Some more stuff for the junkyard here. You may or may not find this useful, but through the extensive use of photoshop, I forged these two for the collective thought network, so maybe you'll use them for distributed thought or deep green instead. Here's hoping.

Thought Mask
Matrix

These two wierd alien hands are unused and were inspired by SMAC's sentience marker (an eye). They are purely FO clipart, so use them to your hearts content.
Soft Sentience
Hard Sentience

And a heart :)

edit: and a gravity warp :D (used for controlled gravity wells)

Okay, in light of a recent post that I saw, I'm gonna go against my better judgement and post a few of icons that are not mine, but that I feel that people will be compelled to mash into FO icons anyways for their own purposes. Again, not mine, but people will want to blend them. Just trying to get the most out of the junkyard.

Pd wasn't kidding. This is a heavy load. These are all of the icons I made that I am certain that FO isn't using right now.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

WWI stylized starship

Generic Coins

If you're looking for something: good luck finding it
Last edited by Josh on Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:30 am, edited 4 times in total.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: The Junkyard

#2 Post by pd »

Here is a some stuff I've made previously, that didn't make it into the game or was replaced. Unfortunately I don't have the original .psd files for the tech icons I did in the beginning anymore.

tech icons
ImageImageImageImage

Mystiqq's category icons

planets
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
All planets, excluding barren, consist of 3 spheres - each slightly larger than the previous one. The first one has a surface texture, which was usually a mix of painting and photo-texturing. The second one is the cloud layer. The textures were created using procedural maps like noise, smoke and swirl - rendered to a file and postworked in photoshop. This sphere has to cast shadows on the surface. The atmosphere has a nested falloff material applied. It works like this. It's essential to use a high contrasting light source. Oren-Nayar-Blinn shading for the surface is also a good idea.

effects

ship parts
Redcap's not yet used damper icons

ship part icons, high resolution
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ship thumbnails

Let's hope this thread will grow and develop into a useful resource for others.

farcodev
Space Krill

Re: The Junkyard (heavy picture load)

#3 Post by farcodev »

i know this post is a bit old, but i registered to thank you for that.

I began to use one of them, not from the junkyard but one i seen on this forum, w/ the proper credits of course :oops:

A big thank you for these resources ! :D