Policy icons concept

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: Policy icons concept

#31 Post by Ophiuchus »

I would prefer something like Pioneers/Pioneering

Discussion started in population curves viewtopic.php?p=110133#p110133.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#32 Post by Oberlus »

Ah, right, Ophiuchus, thank you.
Ophiuchus wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:15 am I would prefer something like Pioneers/Pioneering

Discussion started in population curves viewtopic.php?p=110133#p110133.

I was already writing this down before recalling the other thread:

Conceptually (fluff-wise), Bootstrapping clashes with Colonization policy.

Colonization gives cheaper colony buildings/parts (-33%). Bonus track a +1 to fuel (seldom relevant).
It is a good policy for early to mid game, if properly used, it can give a sizeable advantage to an empire.

Bootstrapping gives faster meter growth and a temporal stability bonus.
- Faster meter growth is useless: when your colony has 1 or 3 polulation, there is no haste to get to target meter because you are already there in turn 2 without Bootstrapping.
- Faster stability growth has some marginal use: if target stability without Bootstrapping is above somo common minimum stability thressholds, like 8 and 10, you begin to get the corresponding bonuses in 2 to 4 turns instead 5 to 10. Efficiently milking this kind of marginal gains can let you get some advantage over other empires, but having a mediocre natives planet or a nice special neearby will be always better. If target stability without Bootstrapping is lower than 10, then the policy is mostly useless regardless of how well you schedule colonization.

Bootstrapping was introduced as an easy way (cheap policy, unlocked very fast) to get better stability at the start of game. Balance changes made this unnecesary.

So my final suggestion regarding the rework of the policy icon concept is using the concept of Pioneers / Pioneering.
As a side note, Spanish people doesn't associate boots (leather boots, cowboy boots, tall boots, boots) to pioneering or pioneers or anything of the such.

Settlers of Catan, with I understand is about colonizers, does not use a boot anywhere in their art...

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#33 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Oberlus wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:30 amConceptually (fluff-wise), Bootstrapping clashes with Colonization policy.
[...]
So my final suggestion regarding the rework of the policy icon concept is using the concept of Pioneers / Pioneering.
I don't think changing to "Pioneers" or similar is better in terms of conceptual clash with "Colonization".

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#34 Post by Oberlus »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:44 am I don't think changing to "Pioneers" or similar is better in terms of conceptual clash with "Colonization".
Absolutely!

Well, let's rephrase my nonsense:

Bootstrapping is too metaphoric (or whatever), and so hard to grasp by different cultures. Pioneering covers a similar concept (pioneers go where others haven't gone yet).
Colonization and Pioneering do clash conceptually, the reason to change Bootstrapping for Pioneering is not to fix that (useless comment from my side).
Colonization can be about starting new colonies, and BootstrappingPioneering is about helping those new colonies grow faster.

Aside from the icon stuff:
Bootstrapping effects are not interesting and not really helping faster growth in new colonies. Pioneering could have the migration from old/big planets to young colonies (effect sketched somewhere else) and a longer bonus to stability.

Ophiuchus suggested +1 habsize when growth focus, I would let that to Population policy (because growth focus can be done in big planets too, seems more generic to me, and it makes sense to put it in a policy specific for population growth).

The Silent One
Graphics

#35 Post by The Silent One »

Pioneering sounds good, I can work with that. Thanks.
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.