Field images

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
The Silent One
Graphics

Re: Field images

#16 Post by The Silent One »

Geoff mentioned that he was worried Ion Storm and Molecular Cloud may be too hard to tell apart. Alternative molecular cloud version below. (Ion storm is final imho).
Attachments
molecular_cloud.png
molecular_cloud.png (705.09 KiB) Viewed 154225 times
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#17 Post by Oberlus »

The dots in the nebula, are they supposed to be stars or something?
If they could be removed, that would help differentiating it and ion storm. Also, make the bluish tones in the middle green or orange or something not blue?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#18 Post by Vezzra »

The Silent One wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:50 amAlternative version for ion storm, more lighning-y.
True, and also stunning, but the "red" version looks more scary. It's really hard to say which to prefer... ;)

Subham
Space Floater

#19 Post by Subham »

The last image ion_storm8.png looks magnificient!!! like most phenomenon out there looks stunning even when they are all dangerous at close quarters...(except black holes :D)
I would love to have that nebula even if it doesnt look dangerous. To make it alarming, my bet is that notifying that its approaching in the Image info panel is enough. Just a noobs opinion. :P

The Silent One
Graphics

#20 Post by The Silent One »

Vezzra wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:05 pmTrue, and also stunning, but the "red" version looks more scary. It's really hard to say which to prefer... ;)
Subham wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:56 pm The last image ion_storm8.png looks magnificient!!! like most phenomenon out there looks stunning even when they are all dangerous at close quarters...(except black holes :D)
Thanks guys! Started over on the molecular cloud, here's what I got so far - I think the stars aren't there yet, and the dark areas are still somewhat boring.
Attachments
molecular_cloud.png
molecular_cloud.png (410.84 KiB) Viewed 154178 times
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Subham
Space Floater

#21 Post by Subham »

nopes! the dark areas arent boring !! not everything has to be all sparkly and shiny..
plus: theres a face in the cloud that wants to gulp down all planets it gets. Try to find it! that face makes it look more scary XD

Adrian
Space Floater

#22 Post by Adrian »

Those look really good, including the last one.

The Silent One
Graphics

#23 Post by The Silent One »

Subham wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:32 pmplus: theres a face in the cloud that wants to gulp down all planets it gets. Try to find it! that face makes it look more scary XD
Totally intentional, too :wink:
Adrian wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:30 amThose look really good, including the last one.
Adrian, good to see you around. Love your ship art!

Here's my current work on star forming nebulae, working on accretion disk as well but it's not there yet.
Attachments
nebula_c.png
nebula_c.png (571.59 KiB) Viewed 153578 times
nebula_b.png
nebula_b.png (542.08 KiB) Viewed 153579 times

The Silent One
Graphics

#24 Post by The Silent One »

I'm working on some more of these beauties, is there any interest in a tutorial how to do these? I sort of compiled a how-to for myself, I could flesh it out some more.
Attachments
nebula.png
nebula.png (189.95 KiB) Viewed 151377 times