Tech Icons

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: Tech Icons

#361 Post by pd »

Josh wrote:Could you start a building icons thread? I can't make stickies.
Just create the thread, it can be made sticky afterwards. I'm attending a seminar and am therefore very busy for a couple of days. I'll comment soon.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#362 Post by Tortanick »

ooh a seminar, enjoy :)

MrV
Space Floater

#363 Post by MrV »

Josh wrote:I wonder where MrV went... and a couple of other people as well...
I'm still around; just been horribly overworked lately so no free time to spend here. Should be back to normal relatively soon though; so if there's any particular task that needs my help, just point me to it.

Josh
Graphics

#364 Post by Josh »

Space Tactics

Ion Cannon

Simplicity.

MikkoM
Space Dragon

#365 Post by MikkoM »

Just a quick thought. How about using a chess board with a couple of pieces on it for Space Tactics? I am suggesting this because at least to me chess seems like the classic game in the area of tactics and strategy, where as the XO game (I don`t know a better name for it in English) feels more like a game that any two persons might play to spend time.

This is of course just my personal opinion. And one problem that even the chess board icon might have, is that it tells nothing about the space part of the tech. If this is even considered to be a problem.

Josh
Graphics

#366 Post by Josh »

No I like that idea, but this icon is 128x128 pixels and shows up even smaller in the tech tree. A chessboard has a lot of detail and right now I'm more concerned about making an easily recognizable icon. It probably doesn't matter that it doesn't say space.

If I find a way to make a chessboard work at such a scale, I'll definitely use that instead.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#367 Post by pd »

I agree with both of you :) The idea to choose a game is great, but it needs to be shown in a simple way, therefore showing an entire chess game/board won't work. A single figure of a chess game could work though. Should be easy enough to incorporate some star or crescent somewhere as well.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#368 Post by Tortanick »

How about something like this, it shows my impressive lack of artistic skill but a proposed layout is still clear.

BTW MikkoM, its called Tic-Tac-Toe
Attachments
space chess.png
space chess.png (94.24 KiB) Viewed 11240 times

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#369 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Tortanick wrote:BTW MikkoM, its called Tic-Tac-Toe
It's also called crosses and nots, abbreviated XO in this case.

Josh
Graphics

#370 Post by Josh »

I have a solution

space tactics

Will this do?

Also:
nuclear missile

structural integrity fields

force energy structures
Last edited by Josh on Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#371 Post by Bigjoe5 »

You know, somehow, whenever I look at the Artificial Heavenly Bodies icon, I can help but have the strange feeling that it kinda sorta vaguely resembles, to some extent, perhaps more than it should...

A Giant Beetle.

Maybe it's just me though.

Edit: Also, I really like the current Ships category icon. IMO, Ships category should keep that icon (maybe with some dollar signs removed) and Economic Sinkholes get a new one. It just looks like some kind of martial crest that one would associate with military things.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Josh
Graphics

#372 Post by Josh »

Fine by me. Lemme see if I have the old file...

Or if I don't I can build a simpler one.

coCoKNIght
Space Squid

Distributed Thought Computing

#373 Post by coCoKNIght »

Blender file: http://cocoknight.com/freeorion/distrib ... ting.blend

Hi, I'm a fan of MOO2 and was really disappointed with MOO3. FreeOrion looks cool so far but there's loads of work still to do. Hope this little contribution helps and can be used in the game.

Edit:
I just figured out how to integrate the icon in the game and realised that the brains were too small so I made another version:

Blender file: http://cocoknight.com/freeorion/distrib ... ing2.blend

The graphics in this post are released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licence (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/).

Sloth
Content Scripter

#374 Post by Sloth »

I always liked the observatory icon created by Josh here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2436.

It doesn't fit the current building style, but is very close to the tech icon style, so i think it can be used for the active radar tech (or maybe another detection tech). I changed a few pixels (mostly the white blob at the bottom) to make it look better when zoomed out.

Attached is the png file and the patch to enable it in techs.txt.
Attachments

[The extension patch has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

active_radar.png
active_radar.png (13.66 KiB) Viewed 10111 times
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

Sloth
Content Scripter

#375 Post by Sloth »

The tech "Gateway to the Void" currently doesn't have an icon. The building "Gateway to the Void" does have an icon though (named monument_to_exodus) and that icon has the style of tech icons (see below). In the icons tech folder there is another icon named "monument_to_exodus" which is a bit different and currently not in use.

I suggest using one of the icons for the "Gateway to the Void" tech.

EDIT: I just saw that the Gateway to the Void building icon has been reassigned by Mat just 14 days ago with this comment: "Most fit relatively well, although I'm not keen on Gateway to the Void.". Is it because it doesn't fit the building icon style, or in general?
Attachments
icon in the tech folder (unused)
icon in the tech folder (unused)
monument_to_exodus.png (9.18 KiB) Viewed 9059 times
icon in the building folder (used by the building)
icon in the building folder (used by the building)
monument_to_exodus.png (6.66 KiB) Viewed 9059 times
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.