FreeCraft Update

Talk about strategy games like MoO series, Civilization, Europa Universalis, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#16 Post by eleazar »

Stratagus sounds like an odd option. FO isn't Real-time strategy.

FreeOrion isn't in (realistic) danger of being sued. Microprose/Quicksilver doesn't own the word "Orion." As has been mentioned previously, FO has a distinct name and will have distinct gameplay. On the other had, FreeCraft was pretty much a rip off of WarCraft.

Though i certainly wouldn't be dissapointed if FO changed it's name. FreeOrion is bland and sounds like a much less original game that it's actually planned to be.

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#17 Post by Aquitaine »

I tried to convince everybody to name it 'Aquitaine' but they didn't want so much majesty right in the title.
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

eleazar

#18 Post by eleazar »

Of course you understand that we hoomans are sensative to the fact that we don't measure up to the ever-victorious Spathi people.

Though seriously, i admit a high percentage of space conquest game names have been taken.

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#19 Post by Impaler »

I like the name "Cosmos" or something along thouse lines.
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#20 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Impaler wrote:I like the name "Cosmos" or something along thouse lines.
Such as "Cousmous" ?

Maybe George Stroumbouloupoulous could do the voiceovers?

eleazar

#21 Post by eleazar »

There's no real reason that the freeOrion project has to call it's first product "freeOrion".

Mix and Match:
[Celestial, Star, Stellar, Interstellar, Starlane, System, Galactic, Cosmic, Space] +
[Ascendancy, Civilization, Command, Control, Domination, Dominion, Empire, Mastery, Power, Reign, Sovereignty, Supremacy, Wars]

Of course, it would make more sense to pick a name after the plot is solidified. But i like "Galactic Ascendancy".

MareviQ
Space Kraken

#22 Post by MareviQ »

The one result I like from the Mix and Match is "Star Wars" ... but I have a feeling that might not be apropriate in the long run ;)

Moriarty
Dyson Forest
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

#23 Post by Moriarty »

eleazar wrote:Though seriously, i admit a high percentage of space conquest game names have been taken.
That's only because they're not very imaginative and stick to "star".
There are plenty of synonyms etc:
Universe, Cosmos, Galaxy, Space, Stellar [little used], planetary [for the games with less scope], Solar etc etc.

And that's before you start playing with the conquest/empire ones.

Heck "Elite" has a nice name which has nothing to do with Space.

The fact FO doesn't have one simply implies (to me) that no-one has really bothered to try to improve on it.