Struggling with MoO on OSX

Talk about strategy games like MoO series, Civilization, Europa Universalis, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

zhamilton
Space Floater

Struggling with MoO on OSX

#1 Post by zhamilton »

Howdy guys,

I've been trying to get MoO to work on my Macbook that's running 10.6.8 but I'm having a ton of trouble. My PC is down right now, so I can't just load it up on there. So far I've tried to use wine, a DOS emulator which was way too confusing, and "sheepsaver" which is a powerpc mac emulator except I needed a mac os9 install disc which I didn't have...

so I'm wondering if you guys have any solutions to getting MoO to work on my Mac. Should I just give up with the original and try to get the second one working?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: Struggling with MoO on OSX

#2 Post by Vezzra »

Depending on how much RAM you have you could try to set up Windows in a virtual machine using VirtualBox (8GB of RAM recommended). Or you can try the Boot Camp road (less demanding on the RAM side, but you can't run both OS at the same time).

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#3 Post by eleazar »

I think you can play the windows version of MoO1 on DosBox, but i haven't tried it.

Rogor
Space Floater

#4 Post by Rogor »

I'm playing MoO2 with DosBox on my Mac 10.6.8. It works

zhamilton
Space Floater

#5 Post by zhamilton »

Howdy,

Thanks for the responses! I could do bootcamp I guess, but then I'd have to download a copy of windows which is problematic as I live in rural Africa and my internet connection is about 56k. It takes me a week to download a new build of FreeOrion :-(.

The DOSBox option sounds the most promising, so maybe I'll take a look at that again. I just can't really seem to figure it out. I've got a windows copy of MoO1. So I use the "mount c /applications/Master of Orion" command to give the Box a directory, right? Now I've got four .exe files inside my MoO folder, an instal.exe, ms-copy.exe, orion.exe, starmap.exe Which of these do I attempt to run first, and how? Also, will I be able to save a game through dosbox or will I have to start a new game every time I close the app?

Yeah, I'm not too good with all the super technical stuff, so if somebody could point me in the right direction and maybe give me some of the correct commands to use in DOSBox that'd be super cool! Should I just try to get MoO2 to work instead?

Thanks!

~Z

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#6 Post by eleazar »

Boxer is a friendly Mac-style version of dosbox

http://boxerapp.com/

I recommend it rather than the regular version of dosbox

zhamilton
Space Floater

#7 Post by zhamilton »

Thanks!

I didn't check out Boxer but I did get Dosbox working successfully after another couple hours of tinkering. Now I just have to figure out how to play MoO...

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#8 Post by Geoff the Medio »

zhamilton wrote:Now I just have to figure out how to play MoO...
http://sirian.warpcore.org/moo1/tutorial.html

zhamilton
Space Floater

#9 Post by zhamilton »

...and this forum is awesome.