Is anybody fan of Stars! game ?

Talk about strategy games like MoO series, Civilization, Europa Universalis, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Olexander
Space Krill

Is anybody fan of Stars! game ?

#1 Post by Olexander »

I had to ask that! I f you are not, then you are lucky as hell ! :D

The game is old for graphics, but has one of the best strategy elements out there - read AWESOME!!!.
The only bad thing is too much of micromanagement on very large maps :x ....

Back to the game design:
game is at http://crisium.com/stars/index.html, where you can get a demo, but they're building a follow-up, with some awesome artwork, worh checking it out:
http://crisium.com/sn/index.html, with some fine ideas in design, too.
---------------------------
Olexander Lozitskiy

Linux Forever

Ablaze
Creative Contributor

#2 Post by Ablaze »

last I heard the follow up was abandon-ware.

I tried downloading the demo once, but it was so crippled that I had no idea what the game was actually like. I was just looking for ideas, I didn't want to pay for it, and all of the racial pics on the demo were grayed out, which was no help to me at all.
Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas.

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#3 Post by Tyreth »

You don't tend to use the standard races, but rather customise them. That is half the game.

I've played a few email games, it's great that way because the late game micromanagement isn't as tedious when you only do a turn a day.

mart7x5
Space Floater

#4 Post by mart7x5 »

Ablaze wrote:...and all of the racial pics on the demo were grayed out..
I do not recall any racial pics there, as some say, Stars! is just Excel in space. Stars Supernowa Genesis is supposed to have much better graphics, though i wonder if they release it before i turn 100 years old

Ablaze
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by Ablaze »

I'm sorry, I meant to spell that "picks."

Since I couldn't customize anything the demo sucked.
Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas.

derb
Space Krill

For my money Stars! was the best 4x game I have played

#6 Post by derb »

and I've played them all, pretty well - even a bit of the MOO3 demo (but it was so awful I couldn't keep playing). I think it would be very worthwhile for the design team of FreeOrion to take a look at the game. I'd be even happier if you could persuade the designers to give you guys a hand!

Starrh
Space Squid

#7 Post by Starrh »

I enjoy stars because I can play it through E-Mail and I do not have to dedicate a whole day to playing the game. I was hoping that it might be possible to set FreeOrion up so that I would be able to play through E-Mail. I am not sure that the battle interface will allow for it though.

Grim
Space Krill

#8 Post by Grim »

I have always loved Stars! :) :)

Black_Emperor
Space Krill

#9 Post by Black_Emperor »

Stars! was very nice, but lacked atmosphere imho.

But whatever happened to Stars!: Supernova Genesis?

noelte
Juggernaut

#10 Post by noelte »

they found no publisher. As i know they try to make money on other projects and after that make the final polishing on SSG. But i have my doubts if this will happen. :cry:

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#11 Post by Impaler »

Ashame they have some realy nice Ship Art, something like 10 differnt races, 20 ships each and their VERY VERY nice. Excelent continuity to each race, you can instantly see what group its in yet distinquish it from that races other ships.
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#12 Post by Tyreth »

It would be good if they just decided to sell it online. A completed 4x game sitting there gathering dust.

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#13 Post by Daveybaby »

Yeah, even if they only sell 50 copies for $10 each, thats $400 that they havent got now.
The COW Project : You have a spy in your midst.

Lyx
Space Kraken

#14 Post by Lyx »

as far as i understood it, they don't own the rights to the game any longer.

So, they have an almost done game, but not the right to sell it. However, to buy the rights back they need a new publisher, etc. etc.

And i agree - i loved the artwork of SSG. It was awesome. Not just the ship-designs, but the whole look of the game.

- Lyx
"You don't need to travel to far-away lands, just to find worlds which are inside of yourself."

vishnou00
Space Kraken

#15 Post by vishnou00 »

mart7x5 wrote:I do not recall any racial pics there, as some say, Stars! is just Excel in space. Stars Supernowa Genesis is supposed to have much better graphics, though i wonder if they release it before i turn 100 years old
I love the Stars! interface, it's so seamless and quick (no big bitmaps anywhere on the screen, the graphics are in you head, through the bars and numbers and racial customizations). The irony of it is that one of the developpers worked on Excel at Microsoft.

As for the fate of Supernova, I think it should be called Stars! Supernova Resurrection if it is to be ever released, as it is now dead as a stick.
BTW, I got into 4X developpement when I accepted that Supernova might never be released and stumbled here through a post in a forum of the S!SG mourning community AKA starbasedelta.com.

Whenever I get my developpement environnement up and running, I'll report for duty to the programming staff.