Gratuitous Space Battles

Talk about strategy games like MoO series, Civilization, Europa Universalis, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

Gratuitous Space Battles

#1 Post by Daveybaby »

First time i've posted here in ages, but saw this recently and thought of you guys:
http://positech.co.uk/gratuitousspacebattles/

Watch the video and if you arent drooling by the end of it there is clearly something wrong with you.

I'm kinda hoping they will license the engine out as an 'off the shelf' battle engine for a 4x game, or maybe even develop their own around it in the future. But even without that, this looks like great fun. Shiny explosiony zappy fun!
The COW Project : You have a spy in your midst.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: Gratuitous Space Battles

#2 Post by pd »

I think Josh is somehow involved in this :) He was lured away from here, hehe.

Too bad there isn't much(anything?) to decide during the battles.

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#3 Post by Daveybaby »

pd wrote:I think Josh is somehow involved in this He was lured away from here, hehe
Heh, i'm sure he's got time to work on a couple more games and come back to FO with plenty of time to help out before it's finished in 2031 :wink:
pd wrote:Too bad there isn't much(anything?) to decide during the battles.
True, but IMO thats something that makes this interesting and different. Making the decisions up front means that there is more planning and strategy and less reliance on how fast you can click during battles. Obviously this means it will probably have 'niche' appeal, and might get boring after a short while, but i'm actually quite excited about this game.

Also, this lack of interactivity makes it very suitable for incorporating into a 4x game, especially a multiplayer one (where you might not want to be waiting around on the campaign map for other people to finish their epic space battles). Like i said, i would love to see something like this.
The COW Project : You have a spy in your midst.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by utilae »

Seems similar to another game in development that has just released a free download for the combat system only, fully playable.

Battleships Forever
http://www.wyrdysm.com/games.php

Battleships Forever is a freeware tactical Real Time Strategy game that put's you in command of a small fleet of warships in space. Combat and damage mechanics are extremely detailed. Everything is simulated in game if possible. There are no abitrary "to hit chance" values in Battleships Forever. The game also features many innovative mechanics that you've never seen before. For example, the Cronus Battleship sports a Flux Shield generator that allows you to draw a defensive force shield around your ships in any shape you want. Another example are the Deflector modules that are used extensively through the game. These modules make a single section of a ship totally invulnerable to fire. This means that you will have to manoeuvre your ships to attack sections of the enemy ships not protected by Deflectors while keeping your own protected sections facing the enemy. Position is paramount!

Players will command picked fleets made up of Battleships, Destroyers and Patrol Craft. The completed game will include ten campaign missions and multiple skirmish modes.

Battleships Forever is inspired by and loosely based on Warning Forever by Hikoza.T.Ohkubo