Creating a 4X Game In Excel???

Talk about strategy games like MoO series, Civilization, Europa Universalis, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

Creating a 4X Game In Excel???

#1 Post by utilae »

You know how people sometimes play a 4X Game and say that it's so bad that it feels like it's a spreadsheet.

Well, has anyone ever thought hmmmm, can a 4X Game be made in Excel?
Can it??

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

Re: Creating a 4X Game In Excel???

#2 Post by Zanzibar »

Well... actually yes it can!! Of course, you would probably want a program to read the spreadsheets into a graphical format... but trust me, I've seen it done!

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by utilae »

Well it doesn't need to have a graphical format.
I'm talking about a desperate person trying to make a 4X Game.
They would be desperate to implement a model but not care about the fact that it is actually a spreadsheet.
I was just thinking about that idea and loled at the idea and thought I would seriously discuss it =)

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#4 Post by Zanzibar »

Sword of the Stars uses excel spread sheets for the galactic map generator (as an example)... I'm pretty sure there are other 4x games that use excel spread sheets for other functions!! ;)

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#5 Post by pd »

I'm don't know alot about programming but I would guess that you need some kind of counter. Something that increases the longer you play, so that you can then make other values depend on this. You can go from there and provide simple ways to interact, by typing numbers(or cick on up/downwards arrows). As far as I know you can add applications or plugin to excel, so that might provide some tools.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by utilae »

Zanzibar wrote:Sword of the Stars uses excel spread sheets for the galactic map generator (as an example)... I'm pretty sure there are other 4x games that use excel spread sheets for other functions!! ;)
Moo3 also used excel spreadsheets. But I am talking about using only Excel. So no cheating by using flash in an excel spreadsheet.
pd wrote:I'm don't know alot about programming but I would guess that you need some kind of counter. Something that increases the longer you play, so that you can then make other values depend on this. You can go from there and provide simple ways to interact, by typing numbers(or cick on up/downwards arrows). As far as I know you can add applications or plugin to excel, so that might provide some tools.
Yea, i'm pretty good with Excel. Good with vba in excel. I quickly managed to make a turn counter button. So you click the turn button, and each time it increases the turn counter by 1 (uses a copy and paste special add macro). You then have your planet stats and have them be a formula based on the turn. To do anything more though I think is pretty complex.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#7 Post by Zanzibar »

Sure, it might be complex... but it CAN be done!! :twisted: