Star Wolves 2 Demo

Talk about strategy games like MoO series, Civilization, Europa Universalis, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Moriarty
Dyson Forest
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Star Wolves 2 Demo

#1 Post by Moriarty »

Star Wolves is a "Tactical Space-based RPG", rather than a 4x, but I'll post it here because its got a lot of character.
Screenshots and spiel about SW2.

You can get the English demo here
Though there are plenty of places that have it so you may be better googling for it to find a closer mirror (there is no official demo download site for the game).

On the upside, Star Wolves (the original) was a great and unique game. On the downside the translation to English (it's originally Russian) is pretty damn poor.

Just figured someone might find it interesting as it is space based. :)

Kharagh
Pupating Mass

#2 Post by Kharagh »

I played Star Wolves (the original) and I think it is an awesome game. It's a mixture between an rpg and rts space combat (with the option to pause at any time).
I haven't played the Star Wolves 2 demo yet, but I think the game will be even better, as you will have much more freedom than you had in the precursor. There will be random missons in between story missions and from what I heard, you are free to travel from system to system as you like.

If you can pick up the game somewhere, I definately recommend playing it (and playing the original, too)

Moriarty
Dyson Forest
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

#3 Post by Moriarty »

Kharagh wrote:I played Star Wolves (the original) and I think it is an awesome game. It's a mixture between an rpg and rts space combat (with the option to pause at any time).
I haven't played the Star Wolves 2 demo yet, but I think the game will be even better, as you will have much more freedom than you had in the precursor. There will be random missons in between story missions and from what I heard, you are free to travel from system to system as you like.

If you can pick up the game somewhere, I definately recommend playing it (and playing the original, too)
You can get the original in the UK for about £5 from some online retailers.

I don't think I'd call it an RTS as they typically need you to manufacture your army. Definately more of an RTT (Tactical).

kroddn
Static Linker

Re: Star Wolves 2 Demo

#4 Post by kroddn »

In a magazine about PC games there was a full version of Star Wolves (1), and I played the game now for some hours. I like it very much, and I hope that FO's space-combat will work similar to that in Star Wolves.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#5 Post by pd »

So, how does it work in star wolves?

kroddn
Static Linker

#6 Post by kroddn »

How can I explain it?

Its like Homeworld, where you have a 3D-view of your starfield. You can rotate and zoom your camera as you wish.

Primary movement is 2D, but each ship can change its height on the battlefield, so that the ships move in 3D.

You own a Carrier, which carries weapons, rockets, modules for your fighters and pilots. Every fighter has different slots for wapons, rockets and modules, which can be uses individually.

You can create fight-groups out of (maximum 6) Pilots and order them to attack or move. Each Pilot can have a "job", "Attack", "Defend", "Cloak", "Destry Rockets", "Repair" and one thing i cannot remember. The fight then is done automatically, you cannot move the fighters by detail (only order to attack an enemy of go to a position).

Each Pilot has special abilities, like "Rocket Blast", "Computer Hack" oder "Good luck" (i only know the german words for that). These abs are limited in each mission and may be used when fights seem to be very hard.

I cannot describe what's the thing that makes it great. Its not only a fighting game, but has RPG Elements. Each Pilot can be leveled, which is real fun.

Download the demo somewhere! I play the game now for about two weeks and its fun :-)

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#7 Post by pd »

I've seen some videos about star wolves 2 combat, but couldn't find any videos about star wolves. What you describe sounds quite similar to what I've seen though and it's similar to what I hope freeOrion will become.

kroddn
Static Linker

#8 Post by kroddn »

One thing: at Star Wolves you can pause the gameplay anytime to order your units or change behaviour. This is very important, or you would not be able to play ist.

If freeorion likes to allow combats for multiplayers, this "feature" would not be a good idea. Maybe combats should not be fought out in realtime, as then the other players would have to wait very very long. For Single or 2-Player games it would be nice...

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#9 Post by pd »

Freeorion is going to have a system called "phased-time". It's basically turn based, but the turns play out in realtime. For example: The game is paused, all players give orders(probably in a limited amount of time, not sure), then it plays out for a couple of seconds after which the game is paused again and there is a new phase to give new orders. I hope I didn't get it wrong. There has been discussion about how this could work in multiplayer I think, but I didn't really follow them.

M4lV
Space Squid

#10 Post by M4lV »

Birth of the Federation has it that way. I think it was pretty cool. At least it's proof it's working and fun at the same time...