the Ur-Quan Masters

Talk about strategy games like MoO series, Civilization, Europa Universalis, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

the Ur-Quan Masters

#1 Post by eleazar »

A reincaration of the commercial game Star Control II.
This game is on the edge between strategy and arcade game. OK, maybe only a little strategy.

I'm not much for twitch games, so i haven't finished it. What i particularly like is the slightly twisted space-opera universe they've created. Aliens tend to act non-human at least to some degree.

So i recommend it to your notice for it's story and characters.

I would love to see a strategy game with an involved story like this...

downnload

Moriarty
Dyson Forest
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

#2 Post by Moriarty »

Last time I tried it I had no idea what was going on (and I have played Star Control (not sure which one, 2 or 3)). Is it better now - as in is there actually a game in there or is it like FO = unplayable in present form?

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#3 Post by eleazar »

yeah, it works. i played it for hours without encountering anything broken.

Moriarty
Dyson Forest
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

#4 Post by Moriarty »

You're right. I'm probably half-way through by now and I've only enountered one (obscure) bug. Personally I'd number it 0.9 not 0.5.

And the one I've played before would have been star-control 3 then as this is SC2. Both are excellent games and I see why these folks wanted to re-incarnate SC2.

grinningman
Space Krill

#5 Post by grinningman »

I love this game, mostly for the dialogue. It's clever, laugh out loud funny, and there are some genuinely interesting SF ideas, IMO anyway. Last I heard the makers of the original game, Toys for Bob - http://www.toysforbob.com , were trying to make a sequel (Star Control 3 was not made by them).
Last edited by grinningman on Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#6 Post by Aquitaine »

Star Control 2 was one of the best games of its time. I think I was, I don't know, 12 or 13 when it came out. Ur-Quan masters is a great project - I played through the whole thing about a year ago or so and it worked pretty well.
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

Cyber Killer
Space Floater

Re: the Ur-Quan Masters

#7 Post by Cyber Killer »

I remember trying this game a long while ago and I was struck down by the interface - I didn't have any idea what or how to do anything. Maybe a manual would help, but I didn't stumble upon one.

I'd really like to play this, cause I saw many really good opinions about this game.

kroddn
Static Linker

Re: the Ur-Quan Masters

#8 Post by kroddn »

Try it! I played Starcontrol II on an amiga with joystick... a long long time ago. And I player "the Ur-Quan Masters" some months ago, its a very good "reincarnation".

The interface of "the Ur-Quan Masters" is quite simple (4-direction-keys + 2 Action keys), but you need to know the keyboard bindings - I don't remember them, but have a look at the manual.