Sword of the Stars demo

Talk about strategy games like MoO series, Civilization, Europa Universalis, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

MikkoM
Space Dragon

Re: Sword of the Stars demo

#106 Post by MikkoM »

Thanks for the info. I will try the new demo out.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#107 Post by Zanzibar »

MikkoM wrote:Thanks for the info. I will try the new demo out.
Technically... that's a rather OLD demo... over a year old!! But it's better then the 1.1.1 demo. Does not give you any of the cool stuff that was added with AMoC.

While the four civilized races battle back the voracious Zuul and seek advantage over each other, a ghost from the past returns to the galaxy in the form of the manipulative Morrigi. Already known for their dark crow-shaped attack drones and deadly traps, this race once thought long extinct, returns looking for vengeance.

Using never-before-seen weapons, ships and tactics, the Morrigi fall upon the other five races of the Sword of the Stars universe, who must now adapt to the ancient masters of space or be destroyed.

Time is of the essence as world after world falls to the black winged ships that surge out of the dark like A Murder of Crows.

* A New Sixth race – The Morrigi, who appeared as a series of mysterious random events in Born of Blood (the first Sword of the Stars expansion pack), continues to evolve the ever-expanding Sword of the Stars universe
* New Ship Sections - Over a dozen new ship sections for all races to match against your opponents
* Unique ‘Grav Flock’ Drive System for Morrigi Ships – The more Morrigi ships in a fleet, the faster they can travel, continuing the racial diversity unique to the Sword of the Stars gameplay experience
* 15 new weapons
* 27 new technologies and the new Xeno-Cultural and Drones tech trees
* Sword of the Stars gameplay continues to deepen with Civilian populations, independent worlds, Espionage options, and demands for planetary surrender
* Drone carrying ships in all three size classes
* Construction ships, a variety of orbital stations, spy ships, Police Cutters, and more
* A whole new set of GUI enhancements and additions.

...and then... coming June 17th we have ARgos Naval Yard:

The new expansion, Argos Naval Yard, adds to the previous 2 expansions and will provide players with:

* 19 new technologies, including advanced drones, over thrusters, two new satellite designs, defensive interceptor micro-missiles, and polarized plasmatics which will unlock a new weapon type
* Over 75 new ship sections to build
* 10 new weapons, including the new inertial cannons, kelvinic torpedoes, and the fearsome rail cannon
* 3 new scenarios

"With the successful release of the Sword of the Stars Ultimate Collection, the expansion Argos Naval Yard is a natural extension of the Sword of the Stars series,” said Chris Stewart, COO of Kerberos. “The new ships, weapons and technologies in Argos Naval Yard will present gamers with new challenges and capabilities.”

greenbalrog
Krill Swarm

#108 Post by greenbalrog »

I'm trying out the sots demo (v1.5.2). So far (maybe 15 to 20 turns) it has been fun. It reminds me alot of Master of Orion 1 with all those sliders. The game puts focus on ship design and research and reduces the micromanagement needs. For instance there are no specific planetary structures to build. Production is controlled passively through manipulation of production sliders.

I miss a bit the micromanagement provided by MOO2 or GalCiv2 but I'm willing to give sots a try. Its fun and refreshing in a sense.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#109 Post by Zanzibar »

1.5.2 is pretty much the final version of SotS + Born of Blood expansion. Play the original demo to get an idea how much work the developers have done since the game 1st went gold. Now, once you add A murder of crows + Argos Naval yard expansions... your version becomes 1.7.1!! So, you can just imagine the polishing it's gotten since 1.5.2! And, you can buy the complete version on gamersgate for $38.89... So the price is very resonable!!

Reference link proving the price