Hello, I just played through the 0.4 RC3 version of the game, installed onto a Windows XP machine, having never played any version before, and the following things were the most confusing (in no particular order):
1) What the heck does trade do? How do you enable it? Under what conditions *can* it be enabled?
a) It would be really nice to know how subtable a planet is for colonization *before* you go to the system. (Looks like this was discussed here
with someone with a similar complaint)
b) Some captured alien planets allow you to build colony ships, some do not. This inconsistency is weird, and makes it seem like a bug. the fact that each species seems to have their own environmental preferences (which are not explicitly explained somewhere) also makes it seem buggy.
c) I still am unclear what the difference is between a "colony" and an "outpost". It seems like one delivers 1 million, while the other delivers 0.1, but is that it?
d) Should there be a lower limit on the size of a ship that can have a "colony" or "outpost" or "troop transport" module? I find putting them on the small ship saves lots of build points -- but it seems that is unintended?
3) If a spaceship has something like 100 health, it is displayed as "0.1" rather than, say "0.1k". This is confusing, as this looks like a fractional number, since 60 health is displayed as "60".
4) A bit of text overlap in the spaceship's status window.
5) Lots of text overlap in the production window, especially with the colony names.
6) Lots of places labeled "Asteroid belt" in various systems. Perhaps a different naming scheme involving the system name, e.g. "Orion Asteroids"
a) Some better explanation of the mechanics of the combat system for both ship-ship, and ship-ground. Both have a number of different options, which, even after playing, I still don't understand. (E.g. why doesn't a weak, highly stealthy, but heavily armed ship get a surprise attack and win?)
b) Could these battles be animated using sprites? We already have images of all the ships... It shouldn't be too hard?
Upgradeable ships would be nice. I was kind of expecting the orbital drydock to allow me to take, say, a medium hull, and replace the "Mass Driver Mk1" weapons with "Laser Mk1" without needing to build a new chassis, same with trying to upgrade armor.
9) In the technology tree, the Industry and the Mining should be different colors. I was confused about what was what.
10) When production is being wasted, there should be something that tells you why.
11) The in-game "pedia" is very hard to navigate.
12) The info thing in the production window can't be minimized or made smaller. It would be nice if it was.
13) What about setting up outposts in deep space, or in planet-less systems?
14) It seemed to have some issues running on Ubuntu 11.10, although this probably was a configuration issue on my part. (I think it wanted to run at the max resolution of my monitor, which is much higher than what my graphics card supports.)
Additionally, the registration for this forum wouldn't allow me to use my normal e-mail for this (which is a yahoo.com address ), so I had to use a temporary e-mail
. So I probably won't be reading many responses.
Overall I enjoyed playing it. Some of my issues probably would be resolved by just having a more in-depth wiki page.