Tony wrote me a PM:
I've deleted everything that had to do with FreeOrion, log4cpp, boost, expat, and GG from my hard drive and I went and checked out everything anew. Its still not working....and everything was fine before GG was converted to a DLL. Could there be a problem with the DLL or LIB file that is causing these problems? I haven't heard from anybody else using Windows, so I don't know if the problem is just on my machine or if it specific to windows.
Here is a rundown of whats going on....sorry if you've seen this before.
- everything builds fine, no warnings or compile/linker errors
- The app starts fine, I can see the background image, however the menu window doesn't render the window frame....the 3 buttons ARE visible, though. The minimize and close buttons are NOT visible.
- If I click anywhere on the screen, other than one of the visible buttons, the app crashes.
- If I click "Start Game" the Sever window opens. Again, the window frame isn't rendered, but I see all the buttons and text controls.
- The droplist works, as does the cancel button. The search for more servers buttons works and the MessageDialog window appears fine...including the window's background rendering.
- When I click OK after selecting a server....any server...the app crashes.
- Looking through the source code, there doesn't look like anything should be causing problems. The rendering code is right where it needs to be and the signals are all connected properly. Additionally, the log files aren't marking any errors or exceptions.
I hate to bother you with this, but I'm pretty much dead in the water until I can get this working. I really believe it has something to do with the DLL conversion. I can start throwing log statements into the code to trace out where exactly its failing, or maybe I could try building the GG DLL myself. But if we can figure out the problem another way, I'd much prefer that.
User Interface Lead
I'm quoting it here and responding so others know about this as well.
I screwed the pooch a second time with the GG dll. It is now recommitted again
with everything working fine (or at least not crashing). You will probably need to recompile your entire client app, since the error stems from something in the GGWnd.h header, and almost everything includes that.
As for the server crashing, you got me. I'll leave that to whomever wrote the universe creation code. I only think that's the culprit because the last log message says something about universe creation and number of stars.