The broader concept behind it, that i liked, is that the construction meter represented all the mundane buildings you construct on nearly every planet in other 4X games. But instead of you doing that micro, the infrastructure bar automatically fills up over time.
But we haven't yet managed to bring that concept to life.
I gave this some thought and i think i came up with an idea to breathe some life into the infrastructure meter.
I kept in mind:
1. It should be transparent and simple to understand for the player (no complicated formulars, no hidden thresholds).
2. Easy to implement for the developers.Current situation:
Effect of Infrastructure: The range of resource supply is Infrastructure diveded by 20 rounded down. This will stay this way.
What modifies Infrastructure (Target value):
- Orbital Construction: + 20
- Controlled Gravity Architecture: + 20
- Galactic Infrastructure: +20
- Imperial Palace +20
- Megalith +30 and +10 to all other planets [Both effects are useless at the moment, should be removed]My idea:
The names of the technologies that boost infrastructure gave me an idea of what the numbers could mean:
0-20 The infrastructure of the planet itself.
20-40 The infrastructure of the orbit of the planet (unlocked by Orbital Construction).
40-60 The integration of the planet into the infrastructure of the solar system (the tech unlocking this should be changed to be in line with the other two).
60-80 The integration of the planet into the infrastructure of the empire (unlocked by Galactic Infrastructure).
Code changes: None!
(maybe remove the hardcoded resource supply range calculation in favor of a normal meter)
Some techs and buildings that give boni to all planets can restrict them to have a minimum infrastructure value:
- Example1: Artificial Minds and Sentient Automation will give the research bonus only to planets with infrastructure level 20 or more.
- Example2: Orbital Farming will give the bonus only to planets with infrastructure level 40 or more.
- Infrastructure level 60 should only rarely be required (maybe for stuff related to stars - Stellar Tomography?), same with 80.
- In general this could be used whenever it makes sense. Especially boni changed from population based to fixed values can be balanced by this.
The description of the infrastructure unlocking techs will read something like "Allows all planets to reach infrastructure 40. Planets with infrastructure 40 have a resource supply range of 2."
- New colonies and bombed out planets will need more turns until some boni are granted. Especially Orbital Farming made it possible to colonize a planet outside ressource supply range and immidiately start with a non-farming focus. Ressource supply in general will become a little more important.
- The Abandoned Colony speciel will be a little less useless.
Do you think this is a good idea? If so i would put together a complete list with possible changes to tech and building boni (and a patch later if everyone agrees).