Geoff the Medio wrote:
It seems reasonable to start with the proposed system:
* Hulls have a base cost in PP
* Parts add some additional cost in PP
* Hulls have a minimum number of turns to build
Assuming that, are there any pros or cons to having parts be able to affect the number of turns to build? I see two ways to do this:
1) Parts have a minimum number of turns to build. There is no difference between the hull's minimum time and a part's minimum time, and the whole ship's minimum time is the largest minimum build time of all parts' and the hull.
eg. Hull build time: 8 turns. Part build times: 2, 5, 9 turns. Total build time: 9 turns.
2) Parts may add additional turns to the build time, if added. Each parts could have a property "adds X turns to build time" where X is an integer. The build time of the ship is the sum of the hull's build time and all the parts' build times.
eg. Hull build time: 8 turns. Part build times: 0, -1, 4 turns. total build time: 11 turns.
(minimum possible build time would be clamped to 1 turn, if negative build time parts are allowed)
I don't think that SHIP SYSTEMS should be able to reduce build time. Racial abilities, technologies, those seem like a good idea. Stuff like a special shipyard, or a tech you research that reduces all hull contruction periods. An actual ship system just doesn't sound like a good idea.
As for how to calculate build time... I'd go with a mix of 1 and 2.
Hull has a base time to build. Parts have their own base turns to build(default is 1), so only really big stuff like Stellar convertor will actually increase the time. Then you have some components that will increase the build time. I wouldn't make this a common attribute though at least not for things that increase it by much.
Schout hull=25 pp (min turns 5)
corbomite armor=30 pp (min turns 3, +1 turns to build)
laser=5 pp (min turns 1)
gatling neutrino cannon=20 pp (and one unit of neutronium) (min turns 1)
Sublight hyperdrive=21 pp (min turns 1)
total=101 pp(6 turns to build)
However, this is assuming we actually use a preset array of hull sizes in the game. If we don't, then we'd make certain types of component always add 1 (like engines armor and weapons). Honestly ship hulls are typically a minor expense anyways.
corbomite armor=30 pp (min turns 3, +2 turns to build)
laser=5 pp (min turns 1, +1 turns)
gatling neutrino cannon=20 pp (and one unit of neutronium) (min turns 1,+1 turns)
Sublight hyperdrive=21 pp (min turns 1, +1 turns)
total=81 pp(5 turns to build)