- current activity(moving) is indicated with a large symbol, which is mapped to the 2D plan
I think this moving symbol should only be displayed when paused to give orders, as it would be useful to know where your ship is moving, we could show the movement path in fact.
- health + shield meter combined (only works, if there aren't any weapons that ignore the shielding, so probably not?)
- health + shield in numbers at the sides
No shield or health numbers, bars only for me. Also, a circle is prolly best, though I am open to sorting the exact appearance of the bars, multiple bars, etc. It depends on whether we have, health, armour, systems and shields.
- subsystem icons in the corners, there can be more, but the 4 corners could be LR, SR, PD and Fighters or something
- still room left at the bottom (could be used for the engine type, if it's that important)
I have a better suggestion for displaying weapons, etc used:
It's a rough mockup.
-Simple selection method, same as in many RTS games.
-Red impact marker to highlight which side of the ship is hit. Prolly not important, if we show the actualy impact on the model, eg shield fluctuation.
-Only two weapons/skills are shown at a time. The previous one used as at the top, slightly faded and smaller. The current weapon being used is the fireball one, it is not faded and is bigger.
-Further icons displays or information can be gained from scanning or mouseover of your own ships, although mousing over enemy ship could be an automatic scan, so maybe shows pop up hover window of ship while mouseover.
-Circle: Yellow is internal systems, green is structure of ship, purple is armour, blue is shields. Grey is depletion of bar. Shield seperated into quarters. Exact details of this can be changed around however is required. I have at least shown the max possible meters that we could have (moo2 has these ones).