Stuff I've Been Working On

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
drek
Designer Emeritus

Stuff I've Been Working On

#1 Post by drek »

A prototype situation report, based on burndaddy's siterep:
http://www.drektopia.com/sitrep3.gif

Another prototype, a planet sidebar with more infomation included, also based off bdaddy's work:
http://www.drektopia.com/PlanetSlotExample.gif

Both of these files' source psds can be found on the collaboration site.

Just in case the the old forums don't rise from the dead, here's links to some older stuffs:

http://www.drektopia.com/planets/sprites/ The craptacular planet sprites

http://www.drektopia.com/dreksplash.png The splash.

not really graphics: http://www.drektopia.com/EPwheel.gif the Wheel o' Enviromental Preferences

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#2 Post by Tyreth »

I noticed that, I was going to suggest doing it myself. Looks good!

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#3 Post by Tyreth »

I do like the sitrep report design. Burndaddy, maybe you could use this as a basis for the design? I think you were asking about it earlier, and tsev was asking you for something simple, intuitive and powerful?

I can't remember :)

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by tzlaine »

tsev wrote:
Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:15 pm Post subject: tsev

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a CVS questions with regard to graphics.

Since there is no need to save previous versions of graphics in the CVS tree, hows this for a procedure?

Anytime new graphics are to be added, we remove the old ones from the tree entirely. Then we add and commit the new graphics. Will this purge the old files from the tree? Or will it just save the new file as a new version of the previous one?
This was my post...sorry
Every commit should copy over the old version of the file, if it has been stored in the repository as a binary file. So this should not be necessary.

jbarcz1
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by jbarcz1 »

That is a terrific looking sitrep. Tell me, that background, was that produced by our game, or did you just make an image and stick the sitrep on top? I haven't tried to build the entire client so I dont know how much of it is in place yet.

JB
Empire Team Lead

drek
Designer Emeritus

#6 Post by drek »

The background is burndaddy's interface prototype. It's what the game should look like, but the galaxy screen isn't implemented yet.

tsev
Space Kraken

#7 Post by tsev »

Our game could potentially look like that soon.

Notice to the artists...could you start coming up with some starfields for the backgrounds. Don't necessarily make them white dots over black backgrounds....maybe do some white dots over a transparent background so that when you scroll around you get some depth like in GalCiv.

burndaddy
Krill Swarm

starfields

#8 Post by burndaddy »

how do you want to do the startfields though? if we do them as big graphics, they'll be kind of large

can they be generated programmatically on the fly within the OpenGL rendering engine you guys have? I would think that would be the best way to do them without having to load big files.

but if you want big flat graphics, I can give you them however you want. what size would you be looking for on these?

btw, tsev, the psuedo-parallax idea you're talking about is a good one methinks. you could do it quite well with three layers of stars on top of each other, top - 100% alpha, middle - 60%, bottom - 30%. that would work quite nicely

tsev
Space Kraken

#9 Post by tsev »

yeah I suppose we could do it programmatically.

In that case, we'll need LOTS of little background stars and nebulas and stuff. The layers can be done in code.

BUT....since this is version 0.1 and we shouldn't be worrying about such things right now, just give me some graphics that can tile nicely. I'm not worried about their size right now.

drek
Designer Emeritus

#10 Post by drek »

In Burndaddy's collaboration site, I've posted a psd containing some nebulas. The better looking three are set against a star field. The other three have alpha channels.

I made them before talking to burndaddy about his ideas for nebulas and starfields. I really like his idea of generating nebulas using particle systems. Animated nebulas would look totally sweet.

But if the coding team rather not have a particle engine in v.1 and still wants some spiffy backgrounds check out the nebula.psd in the galaxy screen section.

Fits the bill? I'm sure burndaddy can make mo' better ones if you need something else or something more.

(Should I convert them to pngs and post them to Drektopia? Also to parrot burn's question, what size can you handle before the engine craps out?)

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#11 Post by tzlaine »

drek wrote:In Burndaddy's collaboration site, I've posted a psd containing some nebulas. The better looking three are set against a star field. The other three have alpha channels.

I made them before talking to burndaddy about his ideas for nebulas and starfields. I really like his idea of generating nebulas using particle systems. Animated nebulas would look totally sweet.

But if the coding team rather not have a particle engine in v.1 and still wants some spiffy backgrounds check out the nebula.psd in the galaxy screen section.

Fits the bill? I'm sure burndaddy can make mo' better ones if you need something else or something more.

(Should I convert them to pngs and post them to Drektopia? Also to parrot burn's question, what size can you handle before the engine craps out?)
Yes, you should convert them to PNGs; I don't even know what a PSD is. And for greatest portability and efficiency, all images should be 256x256 or smaller (where possible -- the splash screen doesn't need to be so small).

burndaddy
Krill Swarm

#12 Post by burndaddy »

PSD = Photoshop Document

source file for the graphics, not a delivery format

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#13 Post by utilae »

All the interface designs, images, planets, etc are really cool. I would like to see some renders of what a star system with more than one sun would look like. That would be cool.

Neuromancer
Krill Swarm

#14 Post by Neuromancer »

Nice work. Again.
Very nice.
I use the splash screen as desktop bacground on my work computer :twisted: . I hope there is no problem. :P
... seeker of the Unseekable

burndaddy
Krill Swarm

star graphics as PNG

#15 Post by burndaddy »

in the Galaxy Map project in the collab system, I just uploaded a zipfile of some star graphics, 64x64 pixels, 24 bit PNG w/ transparency

you guys can use those to start building around, we can make a plethora of them in any size / color / shape upon request (very simple)